Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good port matcher for manifold to heads port job in Tampa area? Heads are ported, just need manifold plenum and ports opened up.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Tmoss does nice port match work. I’d email him.

·
Old timer
6,000 Posts
Anyone know of a good port matcher for manifold to heads port job in Tampa area? Heads are ported, just need manifold plenum and ports opened up.
What heads?

What manifold?

What is the combination? You don't want to just hog out a manifold and make it "big"... That's the wrong approach.

:cool:

Reactions: tmoss

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What heads?

What manifold?

What is the combination? You don't want to just hog out a manifold and make it "big"... That's the wrong approach.

:cool:
Hawg that sucka out so you can drop golf balls and sockets down it!

Reactions: 64Cometkid

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking to open the plenum and port match on Weiand Xcelerator to ported and polished steel heads with 1.94I and 1.60E valves.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Looking to open the plenum and port match on Weiand Xcelerator to ported and polished steel heads with 1.94I and 1.60E valves.
Do the ports already line up ok? Assuming smaller untouched intake ports to ported heads, you should be able to easily blend and transition the smaller intake manifold ports to the larger head ports, considering the manifold is aluminum and its less critical to have smaller ports flowing into larger ones. That intake is a fairly basic piece. A few hours with the light touch of a fine carbide burr is all it takes.

·
Old timer
6,000 Posts
That antique intake may not get you where you want to be. Plenum design sucks, the runners are small and there is not a lot of wall thickness to port it properly. I'm sure someone can just get in there with a carbide cutter and make everything "big" but that doesn't make it right. You might want to invest in another intake if you want more power.

Reactions: tmoss

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
That antique intake may not get you where you want to be. Plenum design sucks, the runners are small and there is not a lot of wall thickness to port it properly. I'm sure someone can just get in there with a carbide cutter and make everything "big" but that doesn't make it right. You might want to invest in another intake if you want more power.
That's why i suggested doing it himself. There isn't much to hurt with an already mediocre intake. Why waste more money on it if there isn't much potential.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been hunting a used Vic Jr, Im not looking to spend $400 on new just yet. Also been looking at the Ford Vic Jr too at $275. Anyone have some reviews on the Ford version? I believe its slightly different than the Edelbrock version, but manufactured by edelbrock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a Ford parts hoarder and have had some old single planes on the shelf for a while, picked up the xcelerator recently and considered using it, but have read it needs work to be effective.

·
USAF retired
9,197 Posts
That's like the old torker if memory serves, you'd probably be better off selling it and getting an RPM air gap.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I thought the M-9424-D302 intake was the same as the Vic Jr 302? They look the same to me.
I've been hunting a used Vic Jr, Im not looking to spend $400 on new just yet. Also been looking at the Ford Vic Jr too at $275. Anyone have some reviews on the Ford version? I believe its slightly different than the Edelbrock version, but manufactured by edelbrock.
I thought the M-9424-D302 intake was the same as the Vic Jr 302? They look the same to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read somewhere that Ford created some design changes, good/bad, who knows. Im not even sure i recall where I read it. But, they do look exactly the same, just curious if anyone has a review on the Ford version.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts