Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point do you consider/need to move to a larger MAF and or Throttle Body?

i am putting together parts to upgrade my 94 GT. I have TF 170 FAC heads, 94 Cobra intake (sending lower to T-Moss for porting. 30lb injectors, Hooker ceramic coated shorty headers, smog delete, off road H pipe, Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Comp Cams XE 264HR-14 Output through a 94 Cobra T-5 to 3.55 gears.

I estimate HP in the 300-350 range. For this set up is there any advantage to using A larger TB or MAF? I have a 76mm MAF (24lb calibration) and a 70 mm BBK TB I can use, but if there is no advantage, I might as well stay with the stock pieces.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The MAF on the 94/95 isnt nearly as restrictive as the 87-93. I dont think upgrading the maf would hurt and may benefit some since the less restrictive the intake path is the better chance you have of completely filling the cylinder with fresh air but I dont really know how much of a difference it will make, same goes for the throttle body. The less restrictive MAF would probably make more of an impact than the TB. Does your intake manifold have a 70mm entry hole?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MAF on the 94/95 isnt nearly as restrictive as the 87-93. I dont think upgrading the maf would hurt and may benefit some since the less restrictive the intake path is the better chance you have of completely filling the cylinder with fresh air but I dont really know how much of a difference it will make, same goes for the throttle body. The less restrictive MAF would probably make more of an impact than the TB. Does your intake manifold have a 70mm entry hole?
Yes, my intake is 70mm. The stock throttle body is 58mm. (Cobra used 60mm)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yes, my intake is 70mm. The stock throttle body is 58mm. (Cobra used 60mm)
I would go ahead and install both of them. Im sure you already know this but youll need to tune it once you change all those parts. What are your plans for tuning? I always recommend a quarterhorse and checking out efidynotuning.com for help with setting up the tune.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would go ahead and install both of them. Im sure you already know this but youll need to tune it once you change all those parts. What are your plans for tuning? I always recommend a quarterhorse and checking out efidynotuning.com for help with setting up the tune.
I plan to buy the Quarter horse and work with Decipha for a tune.

·
Registered
796 Posts
good choice. He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It will make zero difference in horsepower, but you will probably notice some idle & drivability problems.

when do you upgrade the MAF meter? When your combo pegs it’s ability to measure additional airflow. It doesn’t become a flow restriction until well after pegging.

when do you upgrade the throttle body? When it becomes a restriction. Are you seeing a vacuum reading at WOT?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will make zero difference in horsepower, but you will probably notice some idle & drivability problems.

when do you upgrade the MAF meter? When your combo pegs it’s ability to measure additional airflow. It doesn’t become a flow restriction until well after pegging.

when do you upgrade the throttle body? When it becomes a restriction. Are you seeing a vacuum reading at WOT?
I havent put the heads or intake on yet. Was hoping to get some feedback from those who have already done this as to if I need the larger parts or not.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
496CBEAC-855D-4B68-9039-09FABB37B32E.jpeg

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Reactions: SNK VNM
1 - 11 of 11 Posts