Ford Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
is there any way to get a victor jr to flow/work like a super victor? Or any way to chop a super vic to fit like the jr?
I milled down the carb pad on mine to make it fit under my hood.

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,024 Posts
Here's my prediction. You'll change to a Supervic. It'll make 45 more horsepower. 40 from adding 2 degrees of timing and 5 from the intake. Everybody will celebrate recommending the Supervictor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Here's my prediction. You'll change to a Supervic. It'll make 45 more horsepower. 40 from adding 2 degrees of timing and 5 from the intake. Everybody will celebrate recommending the Supervictor.
I'll be doing the re tune first but I would like to step up the intake if there's room for improvement

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
What is the height of it now? I would need to shave at least 0.85 off
From memory, I took about 1/4" off. You are not shaving .85 off.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Fwiw, on my carb combo (I have the same long block in my wagon) I have a mildly ported jr and will be trying a sv.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is no way an ootb Vic. Jr. intake designed for a 302 is not holding back a 363. Since you cannot go to a taller intake, have the Vic. Jr. fully ported and try some more timing on the dyno next time. I have never seen anyone recommend an ootb Vic. Jr. intake for a 363.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Actually, I did see a post on another forum where they said that it's generally not worth it to port match an intake.

Except the Victor Jr (not sure if Ford or Chevy), in that case it made 25 HP.

Here's the exact quotes from late Joe Sherman:
Joe Sherman - Re: Port Matching said:
This process is HIGHLY overated. I just ran two almost identical engines BUT one had ported heads (sanding rolls) and an intake that was openrd up to the size of the head, The torque was the same ( one ft lb more for the porting) and the max HP was only a few HP more TOO. 514 HP engines and that was all it did.
(follow on post)
The manifolds were RPM performers. One was opened up about 125 taller and 125 wider than the other. As long as the manifold is smaller than the head, it makes little or no difference. On victor jrs, it is almost the opposite. Years ago I did some base line pulls, then took off the manifold and ported it real nice (not just gasket match.) It picked 25 HP on top end with the rework. Dual planes seem to be more forgiving.
Unfortunately there's a disclaimer - Joe was a Chevy guy so these were inevitably Chevy 383 engines. So, take with a grain of salt. Just thought it was notable that he saw the Jr. as an exception to the rule.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
413 Posts
Actually, I did see a post on another forum where they said that it's generally not worth it to port match an intake.

Except the Victor Jr (not sure if Ford or Chevy), in that case it made 25 HP.

Here's the exact quotes from late Joe Sherman:

Unfortunately there's a disclaimer - Joe was a Chevy guy so these were inevitably Chevy 383 engines. So, take with a grain of salt. Just thought it was notable that he saw the Jr. as an exception to the rule.
The article makes it very clear when you read it that the Victor Junior was fully ported and not just a gasket match. In that case the 25 hp makes perfect sense. You had to be careful reading a lot of his old articles because he rarely ever used a manifold without porting it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would say Robs article makes it very clear.
Pretty much lines up with Sherman's results .
Not really surprising.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
This should be a sticky.

I gave up fighting with the internet racers who, repeating what they read on some forum, said "you need small ports for velocity" and other such garbage. "AFR 185 heads are too big on a 302", etc etc etc. "Using a 2.02 intake valve on a 302 will lose you power". Garbage advice from people who dont have the intelligence to understand or the curiosity to think for themselves. I generally told them to find a set of 221 heads and go for it.....

The LS3 is likely the most powerful engine in modern times for its size, 376 cubic inches making monster power and TQ. Look at those ports. I just ported the LS3 heads on my 08 corvette (making them bigger than stock....LOL), leaving all else stock save for a baby cam of my specs. It now makes more power all over the tach.

If you want to make power, dont be a lemming.....
Since posting articles seems to be the extent of the experience in this forum, here is one to ponder.....

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
We can all agree that he would make more power with bigger everything, but I don't think that's the issue here.

Assuming he's losing about 18% through a locked AODE transmission, the dyno result says he's making ~430 flywheel HP.

Rob's post showing a 363 making ~470 flywheel with similar heads and (slightly smaller) cam and the same intake implies that gub has something wrong with his tune or something else went awry like cam timing or something along those lines. Throwing parts at an engine that's not already performing as it should with the given parts seems to be putting the cart before the horse. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can't assume a % loss. Maybe stingy dyno. If I where the op. I be asking the dyno guy about other stuff he has ran to compare it to. Or get a mph at the track..

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Or get a mph at the track..
This is really the best choice. Then he can also add/subtract a degree or two of timing and run it again and see what gives best MPH.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It would be interesting to see what your MAP pressure was at peak hp, this would let you know if you have an inlet restriction. You also want to know what your total fuel usage is at peak hp, this would give you a ball park estimate on your driveline loss. You gave cam duration, but I’d venture to say you’re lift is gotta be close or over .600 to feed your heads. Nothing stopping you from cranking up your timing a few degrees and taking a spin to see if there’s a difference.

·
USAF retired
9,461 Posts
Kind of defeats the purpose in milling the carb pad, as they usually pick up some with a spacer under the carb, so milling the pad seems like it would be a step backwards...

Reactions: Cougar5.O
81 - 100 of 121 Posts