Ford Mustang Forums banner
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,024 Posts
The two guys with boat-loads of experience (Woody and Mark) say "it's probably not worth it (or the main cause of low power)" versus 2 guys saying "but a Chebby looks like this".

Interesting dichotomy I must say.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I was trying to go with what I thought was the biggest intake I could fit under a factory 95 hood. I didn't realize the ports were small. Dumb question: is there any way to get a victor jr to flow/work like a super victor? Or any way to chop a super vic to fit like the jr?

·
Registered
202 Posts
don't assume big is what you want.
It's definitely a balance

I.had a victor junior ls3 here to.
It has Shorter runners and alot small cross section then the holley ls3 pictured. But not near as small as a junior ford. But regardless ,it still flowed well when hooked to the STOCK ls3 heads on bench as did the holley And makes more bottom end than a victor senior (probably holley to)on holdners dyno because it has less volume in the runners, different air speed, wave tuning,even tho there short .simulation says same thing.

Intake manifolds are definitely confusing without simulation,flow bench and dyno test. Preferably all 3.

That's not really practical for most guys. Emc guys spend alot of time here I am sure.
change the ci, of corse the ideal manifold changes. Make it to big torque falls like a rock . Even tho it flows. If I get my.kids china funnel web "right" it will do well.( Kinda stopped working on it sense he got hurt). If it doesn't do well. It is what it is.

·
Registered
202 Posts
versus 2 guys saying "but a Chebby looks like this".

Interesting dichotomy I must say.
Engine is just a bunch pipes/tapers/turns/volumes and csa's. You just need need to size everything just right. For the ci and rpm.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Note that Edelbrock gives precise instructions on port-matching the Supervic to the heads, which I did since it's a 600+ HP engine and little details like this might help to compensate for other losses/compromises on a street/strip car. Vic Jr instructions also suggest to match to head port/gasket - whichever is smaller.

To Brentt's point, a good example of "bottom end" power differences and how just going "big" could hurt torque/average power can be seen in this video ->

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Here's another good thread where the Super vs. Jr question comes up. Which intake, super victor or victor Junior ?

Many were comparing the two on 4XX cu-in engines, whereas the poster had a 359 which is nearly the same as a 363. The more research you do, the less clear the answer is.

Also Google "port match power" and read everything on page 1.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Here's another good thread where the Super vs. Jr question comes up. Which intake, super victor or victor Junior ?
the raw85 guy on that thread made way more power with an air gap and smaller heads. Is the vic jr that much worse than the air gap and super? Like I said, I would have really liked to use the super but I don't have enough real estate under the hood

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
the raw85 guy on that thread made way more power with an air gap and smaller heads. Is the vic jr that much worse than the air gap and super? Like I said, I would have really liked to use the super but I don't have enough real estate under the hood
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the SuperVic as you might not like the soggy low-midrange it provides. Even my 427w is somewhat limp if I try to lug it at lower RPMs with the supervic. There were people in that thread who had better results with the vic jr. Air gap is a dual plane intake - more torque and a little less power would be expected, though that may be what would work best for you.

But you really need to optimize what you have and stop reading the internet. Analysis paralysis is all you'll get if you don't get out there and play with timing and perhaps get a MPH at a dragstrip.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That test above is chevy. Certainly has different taper /volumes than a ford victor jr

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
That test above is chevy. Certainly has different taper /volumes than a ford victor jr
True, but the basic principals apply between intake designs.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's why they make gears. Put some compression in the thing and the right cam. And gear it..

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
That's why they make gears. Put some compression in the thing and the right cam. And gear it..
Are you talking to me or gub?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The LS3 is likely the most powerful engine in modern times for its size, 376 cubic inches making monster power and TQ. Look at those ports.
Compared to other production 376 cubic inch engines, then yes. But when compared with other N/A engines HP to CID, it is not even close.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Compared to other production 376 cubic inch engines, then yes. But when compared with other N/A engines HP to CID, it is not even close.
My 2008 corvette put down 450 to the tire with a baby cam and head porting. Factory exhaust manifolds. It idles, drives, looks and sounds stock.
All this with "too big heads with no velocity"!
LMAO

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
My 2008 corvette put down 450 to the tire with a baby cam and head porting. Factory exhaust manifolds. It idles, drives, looks and sounds stock.
All this with "too big heads with no velocity"!
LMAO
Honestly, and I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you're the only person who's used the word "velocity" in this thread. Everybody knows the LS has (vag)inormous heads that come stock.

·
Registered
156 Posts
OP, I honestly think you shouldn't get sucked into the port size wars for now.

You have the motor together and you say it runs good. Make sure the motor is sound with a compression or even better a leak down test if you have reason to believe something is wrong.
Get the timing and fuel right either at the dyno again or better yet at the track if you have the tuning capability. Timing may be close, the fuel seemed to float around a lot on the dyno graph.

I don't think it was discussed what your goal is for the car - High dyno number? Good 1/8 or 1/4 mile time? Fun street car? If it doesn't run the number you're looking for, then start looking at parts to tailor to your goal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is a 8.2 deck?
Don't you think the 9.5 decks intakes have different runner length and taper?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That Vic jr would surely benefit from some port work, right?

61 - 80 of 124 Posts