Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 363 stroker that seems a bit under power. It made 366 rwhp @6300rpm on a dynojet total timing being about 28 degrees

The combination is: 10-1 compression
Tfs 205 11r heads ootb
Ed Curtis hydraulic roller
Edelbrock vic jr carb style efi intake ootb
42lb injectors
90mm accufab tb
1 3/4 longtube headers to off road x pipe

The car seems to run ok which is why I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong. Any ideas? I tried to include as much info as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aode with a locked converter. No track times. The dyno was during the tuning

·
Registered
547 Posts
Seems in line... you made 1rwhp per cube

Like a 300rwhp 302.

Now go strap a YSI on it with a fuel system and make 900s

·
Registered
327 Posts
You should at least be making close to 450 rear wheel horsepower. Something, somewhere is wrong. What is the tuning software?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Timing seems really low. I could see 28* if he was running 10 psi of boost.

Reactions: FlamedHatch

·
Registered
667 Posts
Lots of horsepower lost due to a horsepower robbing AOD combination and we are talking rear wheel horsepower on a chassis dyno. Add an estimated 80 horsepower to your RWHP so you have 446 horsepower at the crank. Right where it should be.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Lots of horsepower lost due to a horsepower robbing AOD combination and we are talking rear wheel horsepower on a chassis dyno. Add an estimated 80 horsepower to your RWHP so you have 446 horsepower at the crank. Right where it should be.
or more

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Even through an aod, 366 is pretty low.

Tough to give any educated guess with zero cam information.

28* isn’t out of the ballpark for an 11r head, I’m assuming you tried 30-32* as well?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like said above, drivetrain will eat some power.

If you still suspect being down on power, have you done compression/leak down tests? What were the results?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same car same dyno same trans made 262 rwhp 287lb ft with Edelbrock performer heads b303 cam and cobra intake on a 91 stock bottom end. Sct chip. Lidio tuned. Not an aod its an AOD-E with a locked converter during the dyno pulls in 3rd gear. The cam is an fti custom cam. I have not done any leakdown or compression tests yet. Just trying to get some ideas

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only did 28 degrees because I thought that is what those heads liked. What is ideal for these heads?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even through an aod, 366 is pretty low.

Tough to give any educated guess with zero cam information.

28* isn’t out of the ballpark for an 11r head, I’m assuming you tried 30-32* as well?
What were your results with your 347 off nitrous?

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,062 Posts
28 might be fine, though it's common to vary timing during a Dyno session to see what effect it might have. Also confirms that your pointer is accurately located. Def seems like something is amiss with that HP number. Get a mph from a dragstrip if you can to back up the Dyno number.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
On a built 347 back in the day, one degree of timing made 30 more rwhp. The next degree added 15 rwhp and one more added another 10 rwhp. Another degree added next to nothing and the next degree lost 5 rwhp. We backed it up 2 degrees and called it good. Some engines are sensitive to timing changes and some are not. But 28* total is low, even for 87 octane pump gas. With 93 octane that engine "should" like 32-34* of timing.
I run 24* at 21 psi of boost with E85. I know it is not a direct comparison, but still...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
What were your results with your 347 off nitrous?
At 30* it made 422whp through an a5 trans with no nitrous. That was before I put the fti cam in, so it would probably be in the 440 range now - which is backed up by the mph it runs in the 1/8th.

What’s the duration numbers on the cam?

·
USAF retired
9,476 Posts
Edelbrock vic jr carb style efi intake ootb
A chinese knock off intake, no porting? The outlets to the heads are tiny on those, made for stock size ports.

Reactions: 65fasback and tmoss
1 - 20 of 135 Posts