Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Here's an email I received from AFR months ago. I was surprised to see the origin of the valve job.

"Hey Eric,

In order to get the lower price point, we had to go with an overseas casting from China. The heads still come with our high quality components, which are the same found in our CNC heads i.e. PAC Racing Springs, ARP studs, AFR adjustable guide plates and our stainless steel valves.

In addition, the castings are backed by the same warranty as our Made in the USA cylinder heads.

The valve job is 3 angle and is done before they ship to us.

All Enforcer heads are available through our dealer network and can be ordered as “No Parts” or Assembled heads.

For a performance street car you should be okay, but it all depends on how aggressive the tune is, how often you are in boost and if you plan on doing any track time.

If you have any other questions just reply to this email or you can call us at 661-257-8124.

Best Regards,

Sales"

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Machine work in the US is expensive. I doubt they could make any money on these heads if they did the valve job in house (at the price point they are at) so I'm not surprised that the valve job is not done in-house, likely China.

I bought several of the exact same castings that AFR is using for these heads and the valve job is surprisingly "good." I paid $180 per head and they fit the same components that AFR is putting in them right out of the box!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I just purchased the Chinese Promaxx heads for under $900 for the pair. The 5 angle valve job is done in Alabama. They also come with PAC springs. Guys in the 8.2 Deck Mafia have been boosting the heck out of them with great results. A friend of mine purchased the same heads as you from Ebay. He is impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I have the SBF Promaxx heads from Jason as well, they are impressive for their price point and they stack up pretty well against the TFS FAC 170s and AFR 185s that I have... I'm going to put the larger rocker studs on the Promaxx heads, check the seat pressures on all springs to make sure they are a good match for the cam I'm going to use and I'm going to run them for a while to see how they do on a nice 306 that I had put together.

I wish Promaxx or AFR (Enforcer) would make their heads available with a 1.90 intake valve so they could go on a bone stock shortblock, notching stock pistons suck.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I have the SBF Promaxx heads from Jason as well, they are impressive for their price point and they stack up pretty well against the TFS FAC 170s and AFR 185s that I have... I'm going to put the larger rocker studs on the Promaxx heads, check the seat pressures on all springs to make sure they are a good match for the cam I'm going to use and I'm going to run them for a while to see how they do on a nice 306 that I had put together.

I wish Promaxx or AFR (Enforcer) would make their heads available with a 1.90 intake valve so they could go on a bone stock shortblock, notching stock pistons suck.
Your pistons don't have eyebrows like my '94?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
They do, but my understanding is that stock pistons ('87-up) won't fit a 2.02 intake valve, unless cam timing doesn't bring P to V clearance into the equation. Typically a 1.90 intake valve is about the size of the stock piston valve reliefs. I know the answer is to run a TFS TW head as there is typically miles of clearance with that design, but it would be nice to bolt on a $900 head with a basic intake, "small" cam, and a few other supporting mods and have a fun, budget, street cruiser. Whops, looks like we are hijacking the OP's thread!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Guys have been bolting them on to bone stock engines with no piston mods. I'm going to run the F cam with boost. Hopefully; I won't run into p to v clearance issues.

I know the OP and he's a cranky old Italian. He'll get over it. :D

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Machine work in the US is expensive. I doubt they could make any money on these heads if they did the valve job in house (at the price point they are at) so I'm not surprised that the valve job is not done in-house, likely China.

I bought several of the exact same castings that AFR is using for these heads and the valve job is surprisingly "good." I paid $180 per head and they fit the same components that AFR is putting in them right out of the box!
Where did you get them? What came with them, head and valves? What about springs, retainers, etc.?

·
Registered
96 Posts
They do, but my understanding is that stock pistons ('87-up) won't fit a 2.02 intake valve, unless cam timing doesn't bring P to V clearance into the equation. Typically a 1.90 intake valve is about the size of the stock piston valve reliefs. I know the answer is to run a TFS TW head as there is typically miles of clearance with that design, but it would be nice to bolt on a $900 head with a basic intake, "small" cam, and a few other supporting mods and have a fun, budget, street cruiser. Whops, looks like we are hijacking the OP's thread!
Thats exactly what I am looking to do on my 94GT. Trying to find a budget friendly set of aluminum heads to pull it all together. I have everything else. GT40 intake, Comp Cam,
(35-349x8) hooker headers, 70mm TB, 76mm MAF, cat back exhaust, 3.55 rear gears.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Your stock 94 clears 2.02 valves without issue? What lift is your cam?
I didn't say that. I said hopefully I don't have any issues as in I haven't checked yet. ;)

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Here's an email I received from AFR months ago. I was surprised to see the origin of the valve job.

"Hey Eric,

In order to get the lower price point, we had to go with an overseas casting from China. The heads still come with our high quality components, which are the same found in our CNC heads i.e. PAC Racing Springs, ARP studs, AFR adjustable guide plates and our stainless steel valves.

In addition, the castings are backed by the same warranty as our Made in the USA cylinder heads.

The valve job is 3 angle and is done before they ship to us.

All Enforcer heads are available through our dealer network and can be ordered as “No Parts” or Assembled heads.

For a performance street car you should be okay, but it all depends on how aggressive the tune is, how often you are in boost and if you plan on doing any track time.

If you have any other questions just reply to this email or you can call us at 661-257-8124.

Best Regards,

Sales"
What I discovered as a manufacturer and, believe me I learned the lesson well, is that offering a higher quality product at a dirt low price is a race to the bottom. If they do this, they have to do it with far fewer features than are offered on their main line product or all they will accomplish is cannibalizing sales from themselves.

I don't know if it's a good idea for AFR or not...because I don't know if people will move down to the Enforcer and eat Renegade sales, or it will be a platform to compete with ProMAXX and the rest of them. I can see what they're thinking and I wish them luck.

I have completely abandoned the lower cost piston market to DSS, Icon, Wiseco and Mahle. They can have it. I know how much it costs to make pistons, and what they're doing is just stupid. Good for y'all though....as long as the quality remains reasonable. Mahle uses it to gain OEM sales, why the rest of them do it is beyond me.

We'll see how it goes, until trade with China is shut down.......which could actually happen.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Normally we use a 2.150 radius cutter for a 1.900 valve. For a 2.020 we step up to a 2.150 radius cutter.

The valve head is not going to be the problem. It's all location, location, location.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
What I discovered as a manufacturer and, believe me I learned the lesson well, is that offering a higher quality product at a dirt low price is a race to the bottom.
I totally agree with this as it's true with all products - especially in the software business. I have clients all the time pitting competitors (lower) pricing against their current pricing and they don't understand that the race to the bottom will eventually put THEM out of business. I'm always willing to pay a reasonable price for quality and the right price for high quality as I'd rather not deal with headaches from cheap crap.

I have completely abandoned the lower cost piston market to DSS, Icon, Wiseco and Mahle. They can have it. I know how much it costs to make pistons, and what they're doing is just stupid.
Are you saying that these manufacturers have a low cost piston line in addition to their higher end products or have they more or less abandoned the higher end lineup?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I totally agree with this as it's true with all products - especially in the software business. I have clients all the time pitting competitors (lower) pricing against their current pricing and they don't understand that the race to the bottom will eventually put THEM out of business. I'm always willing to pay a reasonable price for quality and the right price for high quality as I'd rather not deal with headaches from cheap crap.

Are you saying that these manufacturers have a low cost piston line in addition to their higher end products or have they more or less abandoned the higher end lineup?
Weisco's effective retail price...retail being what Summit sells it for....for a small block flat top PTS piston is 491.00, with rings. That leaves several tiers of pricing between 0 and 491.00. At the lowest WD pricing, they are at, or very near, selling at cost. They did this. I believe, to condense the industry. I'm gone, Arias is gone, Venolia is gone, BRC is gone, Diamond, Wiseco, and JE are owned by a giant corporation, Pankle ownes CP, United Brands owns, and imports, Icon. That leaves ROSS and Racetec as the last of the family owned piston factories. DSS, but I don't count them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Normally we use a 2.150 radius cutter for a 1.900 valve. For a 2.020 we step up to a 2.150 radius cutter.

The valve head is not going to be the problem. It's all location, location, location.
Is that a typo? You said 2.150 radius for both valve sizes

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Is that a typo? You said 2.150 radius for both valve sizes
No sir.......no typo. Some use a 2.150 cutter (me, for example) but I drag the valve pocket at max depth .040 to the outside to cover the spread valve heads. Some (all the lazy ones.. :D ) just use a 2.300 cutter. Either of them is more than sufficient for a 2.020 valve. The point was that the valve pocket radius is sufficient for both valve diameters.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No sir.......no typo. Some use a 2.150 cutter (me, for example) but I drag the valve pocket at max depth .040 to the outside to cover the spread valve heads. Some (all the lazy ones.. :D ) just use a 2.300 cutter. Either of them is more than sufficient for a 2.020 valve. The point was that the valve pocket radius is sufficient for both valve diameters.
Good to,know. I have a stock 94 GT and assume I would need to have the pistons cut if I went with a 2.02 valves. But I would have to measure to be sure.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts