Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
It is nice to see a race to the bottom.....not really.

Reactions: Quik5oh

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’d still like to hear real experience with Skip White or the AFR heads, not just hear opinions from folks who have never touched a set. As always you get what you pay for, but not everyone is looking to build the fastest car on the track. I for one would like to find a decent set of street heads at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
It is nice to see a race to the bottom.....not really.
Once Manley brought the Commie Carrillo in, back in the day, the die was cast. We all have two choices, sell it, or go out of business.

On the plus side, affordable Chinese parts allowed hundreds of thousands of guys to build engines that they never could have afforded without them. My 347 cast crank kit, which was the only 347 cast crank kit, was about $2,300.00 back in 1992 or so...compared to Skip White today at about $900.00, or whatever that dude sells them for now.

Bottom line...you want Top Shelf....I've got Top Shelf. You want Chinese, I've got Chinese. Whatever the customer wants to pay for is fine with me. Not everyone is buying Hammerhead Heads and making 1,000 H/P naturally aspirated.

And........thinking back to my 302 Fords in the 1970's....I sure as hell which I had the stuff everyone whines about today. Even a Navy E-5 might have made a little power.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Back in the day, before all the manufacturing went off shore, did only the rich have hot rods? Nope. If manufacturing had stayed in the USA, you still would not see only the rich with hot rods. There would be a much larger middle class and a much smaller lower class. I would rather have that scenario than the current one.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Back in the day, before all the manufacturing went off shore, did only the rich have hot rods? Nope. If manufacturing had stayed in the USA, you still would not see only the rich with hot rods. There would be a much larger middle class and a much smaller lower class. I would rather have that scenario than the current one.
100%

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
No, of course not. The rich had good parts and the res of us had stock crap that we modified. You are clueless.

If you want to run a Callies MagnumXL, go ahead. If you want to run a Scat go ahead. Comes down to this. The first American penny was stamped with the words "Mind your business".

Good advice then, good advice now.

Oh, and "all the manufacturing" hasn't moved offshore. Americans manufacture 75% of what they consume. Walmart sells 77% American products........but Mrs Kravitz is still iin the window ....... making judgements based on erroneous "knowledge."

Read Adam Smith's "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations " and try again.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No, of course not. The rich had good parts and the res of us had stock crap that we modified. You are clueless.

If you want to run a Callies MagnumXL, go ahead. If you want to run a Scat go ahead. Comes down to this. The first American penny was stamped with the words "Mind your business".

Good advice then, good advice now.

Oh, and "all the manufacturing" hasn't moved offshore. Americans manufacture 75% of what they consume. Walmart sells 77% American products........but Mrs Kravitz is still iin the window ....... making judgements based on erroneous "knowledge."

Read Adam Smith's "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations " and try again.
Sorry man, but this is factually incorrect. The Globalist sold this country out. You are 30 years late.

·
Old timer
5,870 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If we are suggesting books about how we got here then Murray Rothbard’s “What has government done to our money” needs to be on the lost as well

Cheers

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry man, but you don't know what you're talking about.
So there isn’t an agenda of sending manufacturing overseas to China that’s been happening for decades which just so happened to collapse the middle class

That’s very nice to know that’s not at all happening and everything is 100% ok.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
This thread got off track a bit. Despite my bitter protestations, I was instructed to train Asian engineers and ship technology to Asia starting in the late 1980's. Large corporations will find the least expensive way to do things to be competitive, and they certainly aren't loyal to the US. I was told by my American (not Asian) boss in my last job (multi-billion dollar American corporation) to "learn Cantonese" if I wanted to succeed going forward. :mad: I wanted to shiv them.

First we shut the factories down, then the engineering operations followed. While I currently manufacture goods in the US, only the labor, overhead and some of the manufacturing equipment is US sourced. Many types of fabricated metal parts are not even source-able in the US, but if they are they usually cost ~10x as much, and we'd have had to shut down the factory years ago since we're competing with 100% Asian competition. I used to lay blame for what was happening back in the 80's, but that's become passe now, we're well beyond where it makes sense to do that now. Watching aggressive managers back then who pushed offshoring to get a promotion made me think they deserved capital punishment at the time, but most of them are retired now. The only way this ends is when we reach the equilibrium point where wages + shipping costs + materials cost + availability of quality labor justify moving manufacturing back here. It's happened in some industries, but it's a slow process.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
This thread got off track a bit. Despite my bitter protestations, I was instructed to train Asian engineers and ship technology to Asia starting in the late 1980's. Large corporations will find the least expensive way to do things to be competitive, and they certainly aren't loyal to the US. I was told by my American (not Asian) boss in my last job (multi-billion dollar American corporation) to "learn Cantonese" if I wanted to succeed going forward. :mad: I wanted to shiv them.

First we shut the factories down, then the engineering operations followed. While I currently manufacture goods in the US, only the labor, overhead and some of the manufacturing equipment is US sourced. Many types of fabricated metal parts are not even source-able in the US, but if they are they usually cost ~10x as much, and we'd have had to shut down the factory years ago since we're competing with 100% Asian competition. I used to lay blame for what was happening back in the 80's, but that's become passe now, we're well beyond where it makes sense to do that now. Watching aggressive managers back then who pushed offshoring to get a promotion made me think they deserved capital punishment at the time, but most of them are retired now. The only way this ends is when we reach the equilibrium point where wages + shipping costs + materials cost + availability of quality labor justify moving manufacturing back here. It's happened in some industries, but it's a slow process.
A lot of that is caused by....overly enthusiastic....regulations, as well as idiotic taxation. The medical device tax is a perfect example.

None of it has anything to do with hot rod parts.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
So there isn’t an agenda of sending manufacturing overseas to China that’s been happening for decades which just so happened to collapse the middle class

That’s very nice to know that’s not at all happening and everything is 100% ok.
No, there is no "agenda", outside of the conspiracy theorists weird little world. Just millions of individual decision, based on the conditions at hand.

If you can make a crankshaft equal to a Callies for one third the cost, the hot rod world will beat a path to your door. Hop on it. You know you can do it.

The difference between you an me is that I've done it. It's just business.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts