Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a thread to document my build on my 89 foxbody convertible. I will post up some pics of where I'm at with it than continue on as things develope.
I'll start with the craigslist ad I got the car from.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im thinking about the build and trying to make a list of things i want to do on the engine.
i want atleast 400 N/A rwhp so i don't know how crazy i have to go on the build.
my plan is
- flat top pistons, .030 over, hyper (didnt really like the warm up of forged pistons, im sure they are not necessary on a street car).
-mill heads slightly or not depending on CR (93 octane friendly) -LS3 intake valves - TSP,BTR,### cam (not sure on specs i will be talking with them and the machine shop about that soon.
-new bearings - ARP studs -Walbro fuel pump
NEED RECOMMENDATIONS - ecu ??? maybe e38 GM ecu with nice aftermarket harness (anybody have any recommendations??)
- accessory drive off a vette or gto???

·
Registered
172 Posts
Unless you already have HP tuners or something to tune the GM ECU with, its hard to beat the holley stuff for around $1,000.00 on the ls platform. Comes with a new harness as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're taking about the terminator x? Yes seems pretty decent and I'm sure the tuners around Columbus know how to handle it. It's the most complete kit for the money I have seen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am currently working on fixing the rust in the front where the subframe meets the chassis. I made good progress today here are the pics.
20200223_121235.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty much just tacked into place but looks good and ready to be finalized. In the mean time I recieved my transmission t56 tuet11009 and flywheel clutch setup.
20200225_123845.jpg
20200305_141235.jpg
20200305_140906.jpg

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
im thinking about the build and trying to make a list of things i want to do on the engine.
i want atleast 400 N/A rwhp so i don't know how crazy i have to go on the build.
my plan is
- flat top pistons, .030 over, hyper (didnt really like the warm up of forged pistons, im sure they are not necessary on a street car).
-mill heads slightly or not depending on CR (93 octane friendly) -LS3 intake valves - TSP,BTR,### cam (not sure on specs i will be talking with them and the machine shop about that soon.
-new bearings - ARP studs -Walbro fuel pump
NEED RECOMMENDATIONS - ecu ??? maybe e38 GM ecu with nice aftermarket harness (anybody have any recommendations??)
- accessory drive off a vette or gto???
If the engien has 30,000 miles, why rebuild it? The L96 is a 6.0 so big power should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im looking at the wiseco pro tru piston and ring set up in 30 over +4cc around 11to1 comp. That's the first over size they have in those. Stock gen 4 rods.
I wanted a bit higher compression. the intake valves are pretty close to the cylinder wall so a bit over bore should help unshroud.
I wasn't planning on working the heads I thought the heads flowed pretty well.
I was looking for a project and am wanting to build and assemble an ls so might as well punch it out a bit. Im not an engine builder but have built a couple.
The machine shop has the motor they cleaned and inspected the block and they're saying it's very clean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The motor was full of soot although it wiped off pretty easily. The crank had some scoring my finger nail would catch on so like .004 on the rod journals I feel like it's going to need something. 20200205_134213.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im pulling the dash today. The car supposedly needs a heater core, also im trying to get a plan on how to run this master cylinder for the clutch. There appears to be space above the removed quadrant to place the master under the dash vs mounted to the firewall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spent some time getting the master cylinder mounting figured out. It's looking really nice, mounted to the pedal assembly, facing toward the driver. The dash fits on and clears.
20200309_123306.jpg
20200309_131534.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the bellhousing finally arrived. I wish I had my motor back from the machine shop so I could indicate it in. I will be calling them this week to see what sort of progress they've made.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered the kit from American powertrain with the t56. It's pretty costly but seems well built. The sales guy said it was a direct replacement for the fox set up, it clearly was a universal kit. I didn't want to try and find a locating fit the master on the firewall since there really isn't much. Im about to install it all back in the car I'll get better pics

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So it took longer then I thought for the rust repair up front but it is all done for now. The subframe is mounted up. It wasn't lining up quite right so I had to holler the driver side holes a bit so it could slide to the passenger side

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts