Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread, but in case anyone else wishes to communicate, I am ending the build of an 86 SVO with goals at 500+ hp. I know it is doable because I am loosely basing my build on others who have done it. Stock block and crank, but everything else in engine is aftermarket, including Boport aluminum head with roller stage 3 cam, megasquirt, 95 lb injectors, Garrett GT35 billet wheel ballbearing turbo, etc. I plan on 20+ lb boost on pump gas with air to air intercooler and then a swappable air to water intercooler and race fuel tune with as much as 30 psi. The pain, interior, engine and tranny are done and in, the suspension is completed, it is sitting on 18" wheels with 13" front rotors and 11" rear rotors, so it is street setup with drag suspension, and all I have to do is wire and plumb. Anyway, I will report final results.
L
I hate to revive an old thread, but in case anyone else wishes to communicate, I am ending the build of an 86 SVO with goals at 500+ hp. I know it is doable because I am loosely basing my build on others who have done it. Stock block and crank, but everything else in engine is aftermarket, including Boport aluminum head with roller stage 3 cam, megasquirt, 95 lb injectors, Garrett GT35 billet wheel ballbearing turbo, etc. I plan on 20+ lb boost on pump gas with air to air intercooler and then a swappable air to water intercooler and race fuel tune with as much as 30 psi. The pain, interior, engine and tranny are done and in, the suspension is completed, it is sitting on 18" wheels with 13" front rotors and 11" rear rotors, so it is street setup with drag suspension, and all I have to do is wire and plumb. Anyway, I will report final results.
I was wondering about that update. I have boport 1.9 cam ,roller rockers, hla's, (boport copy head), front mount, homemade upper with 3" throttle body, injectors, gt3582r, pimp, meth kit (homemade) what do you think??? I'm looking for 500hp to 600hp

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
gt3582r is on the upper limit at your expected hp level, but should be ok

at 600hp, I wouldn't even consider HLA just go solid and be done with the HLA mess but I don't think the 1.9 can run solid (could be wrong-check with bo)

1.9 is small-ish for 600hp, I'd like to see a 2.5 but that's just me. Makes your go a little easier to achieve, IMO

and finally 500-600hp out of a 2.3 isn't going to be easy, nor cheap, and I hope you have plenty of spare parts, blocks, heads, rods, pistons, crankshafts, aux shafts, belts, and a bunch of other items. You will need them.

Is the head strapped? Mains? Those would be on the to-do list as well at your power level.

with 140" you're gonna have to turn some RPM. Probably 9000 or so. Needs good parts. You can generally lower the rpm with a longer stroke at the same hp level. That's why 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 stroker kits are available with the latter two being hard to locate and thus expensive. IIRC there is a 2.8 as well but I can't speak for how much work's gotta be done to get it in a 2.3 block. A tall deck block would make things easier in a way, harder in other ways.

See if you can find an ARCA head, or similar. The stock head "can" work but it takes a LOT of work to get there. and a lot of boost. You'll probably be 30+ by time you get to 500 and that's not gonna happen on cheap gasoline, you will absolutely need some sort of charge air cooling whether it be a-w or meth, or just run methanol for fuel. Or E85 but with E85 you have to be wise and diligent in testing the fuel mix because it's rarely consistent.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Half of all Volvo B230 out in the Swedish woods are running way over 400rwhp, many over 700rwhp and quite a few over 1000rwhp.

The displacement is not the issue.

·
Registered
346 Posts
41 - 45 of 45 Posts