Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Dont forget that actually getting 600 usable hp out of the motor isnt gonna be easy. Sure you can run 30psi but how long will it take to spool that up, and how many rpm will you have left before it shifts and the wait begins all over again??? :) Certainly doesnt sound very streetable...

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are a couple of guys with the volvo DOHC cylinder head on the 2.3 making 1000+hp.
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
I got a whole group of little yellow heads saying thats a lie.

Only 2.3 powered vehicles that are actually making over 1000+ is one that i know of and it is a 7.xx 1/4 truck. Don Nase Jr. And i don't even think he has that anymore. And there all doing it on a SOHC engine comination.

·
Formerly known as 89 steeda
734 Posts
How fast do you want to go?? I dont think you should focus on the horsepower.

600hp in a light enough foxbody would be enough to get you in the 9's. Do you have a chassis that can take that kind of power or speeds?

How much money you have to put into the trans setup? What rear end you gonna build? What computer system you gonna use? I would bet if you looked around for some good used parts you could build a 600hp 2.3t for 5k or less...but how much does that leave you to put into the rest of the car?

My old truck put 306 to the wheels using almost all used or straight up junkyard parts and was fast enough to kill everyone I raced that had an 11 second car/truck. At the track I only ever got mid 12's because of different problems everytime.

300+ rwhp in the junk Ranger I had was PLENTY enough to get the job done and scare me at the same time.

My new car is built to be safe into the 10's...so that is what I am shooting for.The same junk motor will get a bigger turbo,a little more boost,stand alone ecm,nos and a better trans and at the current weight will only need about 450hp to run 10's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
4POT, How much power were you making with the ARCA head? There was an article recently in MMFF where some guy using a head ford designed for ARCA was running 9's. The head wasn't even ported!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
4POT, How much power were you making with the ARCA head? There was an article recently in MMFF where some guy using a head ford designed for ARCA was running 9's. The head wasn't even ported!
most poeple dont even touch them..im running the Essy D-port alumn street head and from the limited time i had it going on a bad tune so far was pretty good!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tim (4POT) Car isn't even running and hasn't ever been running with the motor that is in the car.

The ARCA car that was running in the 9's was probably Jon Huber in his 79 Gray Ford Mustang.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
lol nice..i was running that auto shifter under the 5spd trick for years

·
Registered
1 Posts
dragtimes com/Ford-Probe-Timeslip 8.42

D port head, no spray, 5 speed, 750hp, he builds loads of 2.3s

·
Registered
280 Posts
dragtimes com/Ford-Probe-Timeslip 8.42

D port head, no spray, 5 speed, 750hp, he builds loads of 2.3s
welcome and nice first post.

The driver of that car is Fred House. Most of us know or have heard that name before. And he's no slouch when it comes to 2.3 turbos

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread, but in case anyone else wishes to communicate, I am ending the build of an 86 SVO with goals at 500+ hp. I know it is doable because I am loosely basing my build on others who have done it. Stock block and crank, but everything else in engine is aftermarket, including Boport aluminum head with roller stage 3 cam, megasquirt, 95 lb injectors, Garrett GT35 billet wheel ballbearing turbo, etc. I plan on 20+ lb boost on pump gas with air to air intercooler and then a swappable air to water intercooler and race fuel tune with as much as 30 psi. The pain, interior, engine and tranny are done and in, the suspension is completed, it is sitting on 18" wheels with 13" front rotors and 11" rear rotors, so it is street setup with drag suspension, and all I have to do is wire and plumb. Anyway, I will report final results.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
There is one car I have never heard anybody talk about. I read an article some years ago, about a guy claim to have a Ford 2.3 based engine in a rear engine dragster. There are pictures of the engine in the car, in the magazine. If I am remembering this correctly, they guy was claiming 1600 hp from the little engine. I think it had something like a 88 mm turbo on it. I remember the pictures of the engine and turbo, the turbo looked huge compared to the engine. The engine was a aluminum, single over head cam engine. I am pretty sure the guy claimed the car would run somewhere in the 6s in the 1/4. I may still have this magazine somewhere.
I saw that car in that one magazine, never heard a single word about the car or combo before or since. I have heard about the two guys who, who each have the 2.3 based engines in the foxes that, I last heard were both running something like 8.60s. They are on the turboforums.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts