Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Stealth and a Holley 650 are all you need.

You’re overthinking every aspect of this.

Reactions: BlackBeauty

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
View attachment 1070180

There is my Weiand Stealth next to a Vic Jr resting comfortably on a shelf in my garage. In case you forgot the Stealth was used on a low compression 6,000 rpm daily driven 289 I ran years ago and pretty much equivalent to a Performer RPM. Have plenty of use on those. But what do I know. LOL
I'm about ready to forget the whole thing.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
98 Posts
in my opinion, for your goals, explorer shortblock, ho cam with 1.7s, or any of the mega popular cams, brodix 5.0 heads, shorties, dual plane, will make your car very enjoyable to drive and be very easily maintained.

No big fancy high dollar head, no magical custom made cam, no special forged pistons needed for your plans. throw a Holley street avenger on it and youll be done alot quicker.

But you have your option to do it your way and its your money. gl with the build either way. go get it done.
The brodix st5.0 with 1.94int can be picked up for a little over $1,100 new. Great head. Small cam and an explorer shortblock with some thin gaskets would make for a great little engine. But at that point go custom cam. Not much more than a shelf cam and people tend to forget custom isn’t always for max power it can make great power while making a street car a lot easier with driveability, idle quality etc. shelf cams are perfectly fine and could meet or exceed your goals if chosen correctly. IMO unless you know what YOU are talking about with cams don’t take subjective suggestions on a cam.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The brodix st5.0 with 1.94int can be picked up for a little over $1,100 new. Great head. Small cam and an explorer shortblock with some thin gaskets would make for a great little engine. But at that point go custom cam. Not much more than a shelf cam and people tend to forget custom isn’t always for max power it can make great power while making a street car a lot easier with driveability, idle quality etc. shelf cams are perfectly fine and could meet or exceed your goals if chosen correctly. IMO unless you know what YOU are talking about with cams don’t take subjective suggestions on a cam.
I'm using a custom grind cam.
I'm going to use a custom grind cam.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
149 Posts
But at that point go custom cam. Not much more than a shelf cam and people tend to forget custom isn’t always for max power it can make great power while making a street car a lot easier with driveability, idle quality etc. shelf cams are perfectly fine and could meet or exceed your goals if chosen correctly. IMO unless you know what YOU are talking about with cams don’t take subjective suggestions on a cam.
Exactly!!!

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
98 Posts
I'm using a custom grind cam.

I'm going to use a custom grind cam.
Didn’t say you weren’t. I was going off his explorer idea. I can and have read your first post where you made it obvious you are using a custom grind from Ed. Btw if your going Flat Tappet go solid.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Didn’t say you weren’t. I was going off his explorer idea. I can and have read your first post where you made it obvious you are using a custom grind from Ed. Btw if your going Flat Tappet go solid.
If I did, I didn't mean to, as I think that a custom grind cam is the best way for me to go.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
custom is fine if you want a one and done engine. anyway you cant beat the almighty b cam which has shot up in price. so now a custom grind makes more sense

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Were talking about building an E-ffing 289! Something that has been happening since around 1968! These mild 289/5.0 engine build threads "how much power is it gonna make" are becoming irritating.

·
Registered
253 Posts
For his purposes a Performer 289 is just fine. The RPM has a bit more top end flow, but unlikely he’ll ever use it. Even better is the RPM air gap, but it doesn’t fit under most stock hoods.

A cheap easy head upgrade is to add GT40 heads or Gt40Ps (to help with the compression). The e heads are will be fine too.

But before we give you good advice we need to know more about your car, and the intended use. Building a 289 has very different Considerations from an EFI 5.0L

·
Registered
149 Posts
So what header are you going to use with a P head in a 65 Mustang? Have to clear that altered plug angle. Doug Thorley try why headers used to clear. Quite spendy though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A 289 performer may be fine (if you are intentionally trying to put a restricter plate on it to limit average power in his rpm range) for 300 hp. A stock cast-iron four barrel intake will work as well. Heck, even a cast-iron two barrel intake will “work”.

He originally said he was going to run AFR 165 heads. Only an idiot would buy and put a 289 Performer on them. Now his machinist has a used(?) performer rpm for him to use. Why wouldn’t he?

·
Registered
149 Posts
ok No offense to the stealth lovers But on this guy’s combo I would run a regular RPM before even considering a stealth.
did they change the Steath? The one I have is a high rise dual plane that usually slightly bested the rpm and fell short of the rpm air gap in engine dyno tests. Idle to 6,800 rpm advertised power band which means nothing other then it’s designed to be a performance dual plane high rise. I believe you are thinking of a different weiand intake.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
98 Posts
did they change the Steath? The one I have is a high rise dual plane that usually slightly bested the rpm and fell short of the rpm air gap in engine dyno tests. Idle to 6,800 rpm advertised power band which means nothing other then it’s designed to be a performance dual plane high rise. I believe you are thinking of a different weiand intake.
No no you are correct I should have clarified. He already has the rpm. I wouldn’t buy a stealth over the had RPM. Yes the stealth is under the air gap. On this particular 289 I think there will be almost no difference between the stealth and base RPM

·
Registered
149 Posts
No no you are correct I should have clarified. He already has the rpm. I wouldn’t buy a stealth over the had RPM. Yes the stealth is under the air gap. On this particular 289 I think there will be almost no difference between the stealth and base RPM
Amen to that! Difference in performance is vague on an engine dyno. He will never notice the difference.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
98 Posts
Amen to that! Difference in performance is vague on an engine dyno. He will never notice the difference.
To be honest if it will only be going to 5k a lot of this is not needed advice. I don’t care if it goes to 4K I still wouldn’t waste my money on a performer lol.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts