Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Thats simply not true. Carry on
A well known engine builder said to always use spring's specifically designed for the cam used. As most cylinder heads have springs that are a one size fits all approach, open/close pressure, seat pressure and correct valve spring height are all important parts of proper cam performance and life of the cam.

Vendor
A well known engine builder said to always use spring's specifically designed for the cam used. As most cylinder heads have springs that are a one size fits all approach, open/close pressure, seat pressure and correct valve spring height are all important parts of proper cam performance and life of the cam.
You simply dont know, what you dont know.

Registered
All woody does is build engines sooooo

Modern cyl head offerings have much better springs than you鈥檙e used to. Springs do have to be compatible with a cam, yeah that鈥檚 right

Registered
Me neither. I was of the impression the springs should match the cam based on lift, ramp rates, recommended open and closed seat etc. But I imagine there must be different criteria that different engine builders use. Is it possible to have too stiff of a spring?

Vendor
Me neither. I was of the impression the springs should match the cam based on lift, ramp rates, recommended open and closed seat etc. But I imagine there must be different criteria that different engine builders use. Is it possible to have too stiff of a spring?
I will use the 2 heads that have run away with the hydraulic roller market, everyone else is in the basement for 90% of the hyd roller customer. Afr with an 8019 and any 11R head. The springs used on those 2 heads will cover 90% of the consumer base with ease. Consumers which make up the vast majority of buyers from places like summit, have no idea about ramp rates, so thats moot. Max lift capability, install height, seat pressure and open pressure are all published for those 2 heads. I will venture an educated guess that 99% of people buying those 2 heads from summit, ebay etc.. are not changing springs. If this was an issue you would have heard about it LONG time ago. The springs on those 2 heads will cover 95% of hyd roller users on this forum. That is one hell of a big box that afr and tfs have managed to create.

Now buying an edelbrock head which hasnt changed in 100 years except price is another story, same goes for dart and all the rest.

I only mention hyd roller because that makes up 99% of my customer base over the last 20 years. Its not the year 2000 anymore for those 2 above heads. They have managed to clobber the market and for good reason, they are beyond wildly successful.

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Wrong, I know for a fact that stock valve spring's can not be used with a performance cam, and that valve spring's have to have correct install height. You think that spring's that come with assembled heads that are rated up to a .650 lift cam are good for a small cam. There's even spring's that can be used solely for cam break in. Just because I don't have a 9 second car doesn't mean that I don't have some knowledge about engines.

Vendor
I deciphered this as such

No what cylinder heads that people run, they should never run the springs that come on the cylinder heads they buy.

No matter what cylinder heads that people run, they should NEVER run the springs that come on the cylinders heads they buy.

You are wrong, flat out wrong, mind numbingly wrong. Carry on with the silliness.

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
It's possible to have valve spring's that are to stiff for the cam used. The spring's should always be checked for correct install height, pressure etc. I've seen to many people wipe out their cams because of using spring's as is. A 1.3 rocker arm ratio is something else that people use for cam break in, why? Spring pressure controls the lifters

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
I deciphered this as such

No what cylinder heads that people run, they should never run the springs that come on the cylinder heads they buy.

No matter what cylinder heads that people run, they should NEVER run the springs that come on the cylinders heads they buy.

You are wrong, flat out wrong, mind numbingly wrong. Carry on with the silliness.
Run performance spring's on a stock cam and see what happens

Vendor
It's possible to have valve spring's that are to stiff for the cam used. The spring's should always be checked for correct install height, pressure etc. I've seen to many people wipe out their cams because of using spring's as is. A 1.3 rocker arm ratio is something else that people use for cam break in, why? Spring pressure controls the lifters
Stop typing. Go back to telling us how you dont want a Siamese bore block, that was a hoot.

Registered
Discussion Starter #53
If you're here arguing with Woody about such things as valve springs, that would be the best.

Why ask advice when you won't listen to one of the most knowledgeable Windsor engine builders in the country? It's pathetic to watch someone make such a colossal fool of one's self, how can you expect anyone to take you seriously? Sorry if I sound harsh, sometimes truth hurts.

Jay
I realize that I was to much in my old ways. I'm going to pay attention to what Woody and others have to say and be more thoughtful of how I ask questions. I'm reading over what you just said and it makes sense that I've been making myself look real stupid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #54
By me keeping my mouth shut and paying attention to what you guys are trying to explain to me, I'll find that I can get my engine to run like I want the first time around instead of throwing money away.

Registered
Since a bunch of off topic content was deleted from this thread, I do believe that a comment Mark made points to the probability that this OP was purposely screwing with us. Just thought I'd throw that out if someone happens across this thread without "the rest of the story". Yep, fell for it like a Crappie taking a minnow, all in good fun though.

Jay

Registered
Since a bunch of off topic content was deleted from this thread, I do believe that a comment Mark made points to the probability that this OP was purposely screwing with us. Just thought I'd throw that out if someone happens across this thread without "the rest of the story". Yep, fell for it like a Crappie taking a minnow, all in good fun though.

Jay
I think you are thinking of another thread. The OP on this thread, actually knows nothing.

Registered
I think you are thinking of another thread. The OP on this thread, actually knows nothing.
I'm not thinking about another thread, Bubba is a pretty good actor though, he got Woody wound up pretty good. Oh wait, I probably just dreamed it all, LOL. Mark mentioned something like a fuel altered with a bad attitude, he clearly knows who this is.

Jay

Registered
Discussion Starter #60

Jay

Jay
I'm glad that it did get deleted.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts