Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into intake manifold for the 289. I'm thinking of using the stealth intake. It's power band is off idle to 6,000 rpm's. This car is going to be a semi daily driver as weather permits. The car will have ac and p/db.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holley 650, afr165 heads with a comp valve job and valve's back cut, spring's will be matched to the custom ground cam from FTI. Pistons I looked at both flattop and with small dome, compression ratio is at 9.69:1 at zero deck height and a 0.039" headgasket. I've heard that I need a higher compression ratio, like 10.5:1. How can that be accomplished? Heads are 58cc chambers. Thinking about using a midlength headers for better ground clearance.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
If you’re paying for a custom spec from Ed he’ll need to know the intake before hand. Talking to him about that would yield the best combination.

Reactions: stangjumper

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like the best way to go. Even for a mild build I think that it's still the best way to go because off the shelf cams are a fit's all grind.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You are going to want to use that "whichever way the wind blows" manifold made by "new direction of the day", a subsidiary of "wet dreamers anonymous" . Bubba "burning rubba", good luck dude!

Jay

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't go wrong with the edelbrock performer rpm. Its one of the best dual plane designs on the market.
Is it true that the weiand street warrior intake and the edelbrock performer 289 manifolds are nothing more than a reworked factory intake manifold?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Is it true that the weiand street warrior intake and the edelbrock performer 289 manifolds are nothing more than a reworked factory intake manifold?
If you heard this from whichever source you get your other info from, I think you know the answer.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The get the stealth man. You can pretty much buy and aftermarket dual plane manifold and you probably won’t notice any difference. Might as well just pick one.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The get the stealth man. You can pretty much buy and aftermarket dual plane manifold and you probably won’t notice any difference. Might as well just pick one.
I agree, the stealth. Can't wait until it's all done with.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
My only gripe with the Weiand intake is that its Chinese. That's not a bad thing persay but it just rubs me wrong to buy a Chinese part when there are US made options like the Edelbrock. Both manifolds are more than adequate but the Edelbrock is a slightly better design and quality piece IMO. The stock Ford 289/302 4bbl intake is quite different and mediocre in design than both other intakes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My only gripe with the Weiand intake is that its Chinese. That's not a bad thing persay but it just rubs me wrong to buy a Chinese part when there are US made options like the Edelbrock. Both manifolds are more than adequate but the Edelbrock is a slightly better design and quality piece IMO. The stock Ford 289/302 4bbl intake is quite different and mediocre in design than both other intakes.
Didn't know that about weiand. Other than edelbrock, is there any other company that makes cylinder heads HERE? Intake manifold will be a edelbrock.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Makes no difference whether the Weiand is made overseas or here. They turn out well, and it’s not like they have any moving or wearable parts.

Trickflow, afr(their cnc offerings), brodix, and dart all make USA cast and machined heads.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts