Ford Mustang Forums banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I'm just trying it now, unfortunately my battery is relocated in the boot/trunk. My light lead isn't long enough. Is there any other place I can clip to in the engine bay? I am using a paper clip as the jump connector, or should it be copper?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Use a piece of wire, preferably with spade connectors.

Paperclips don’t work particularly well for multiple reasons.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Use a piece of wire, preferably with spade connectors.

Paperclips don’t work particularly well for multiple reasons.
I EVENTUALLY GOT A CODE READER, (see photo)I will take the codes next weekend if I can.
But! I found a wire (open) can't find where to connect it to, unless it's an aux! (see photo)

Attachments

·
Registered
23,196 Posts
What open wire?

plug in the TWO connectors into the reader

·
Registered
23,196 Posts
has nothing to do with reading codes

you dont have a stock air box, so forget bout it

·
Registered
13 Posts
YES, I got it, but I mean I found this unplugged cable; can't find were it plugs into, (see pic)I will investigate at the weekend.
That is part of the ac circuit

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
has nothing to do with reading codes

you dont have a stock air box, so forget bout it
HI, I tried for 15 minutes (SEE PHOTO) 10 minutes key on engine off. 5 minutes engine running (without IACV)) car ticks over just about burning petrol out the exausts.
I hope I used it properly, turn on wait a few minutes press test read. I gave it 10 minutes no codes coming.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
The car won't tick over with the IACV FITTED. So I took it off to try and get codes with the engine running.

·
Registered
23,196 Posts
what is tick over mean?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
His eec is bad, but let’s see how many more months he will waste away at this issue before he takes our advice seriously.

We really could have helped him diagnose this on the first day...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
His eec is bad, but let’s see how many more months he will waste away at this issue before he takes our advice seriously.

Don't be cruel. So I should replace the EEC? I do have one. Im in UK believe me i have to order most of my parts from USA. It takes about 10 days for parts..

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Don't be cruel. So I should replace the EEC? I do have one. Im in UK believe me i have to order most of my parts from USA. It takes about 10 days for parts..
No. As I said before, You should try to figure out what caused it to fail in the first place. You never needed to order any parts to diagnose the issue.

All you had to do was follow the simple steps/answer the questions we gave you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
No. As I said before, You should try to figure out what caused it to fail in the first place. You never needed to order any parts to diagnose the issue.

All you had to do was follow the simple steps/answer the questions we gave you.
I see, well I will change the EEC and get codes, I got the code book. I'm just a pen pusher hahaha, This virus hasn't helped.... I appreciate your help, I have learned a lot, e.g. light test, how to use a multimeter, what an EEC is.. etc. It's a learning process for me. I had a 72 fastback sprint and a 71 351 boss , simple carb and plugs timing.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
You see how easy that was. You have identified a problem with the EEC/ ECM/ computer, whatever you want to call it.

It’s possible that the bulb has failed, but unlikely in my opinion given your symptoms.

You can still try to retrieve codes from the EEC-IV test port under the hood by using your own 12v bulb there. IF the EEC is indeed faulty, you will not be able to retrieve codes.

Do Not jump ahead and install the extra EEC you have in the parts box. You could damage it without knowing what potentially caused the other to fail.
Do you want 2 bad EEC’s?
Listen.

·
Registered
23,196 Posts
yes you dooooooooo...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
HI, I moved the car up the driveway, however this happened and may be a symptom! The IACV is left off to let the car idle and I can move it on the driveway of my house.
When I started the car in P (gearbox auto) The gear stick wouldn't move from P. (I couldn't move it to D.)So I turned the engine off moved the gear stick to N. started the car and was able to move it to any gear. I put the car back in P and tried moving it again but it wouldn't move.
The gearbox (photo of receipt) was new and supplied with a 3000 stall converter in it) and was part of the original set up in 2010. New engine New gearbox etc.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts