Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Base is done, 3 coats and turned out real nice. Hope I dont mess up the clear next.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lokks great!!! Just don't try and do too much with the first coat of clear. Put it down light to med this will give a good tack base to put the 2nd coat on much wetter or slicker how ever you want to put it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Really glad I went with color match and not black. It looks really good after the clear. I am no body man but the 2K clear went on very well I thought, but I did watch many videos before spraying it. Car is not a show car either just something fun to drive and now I will be proud to open the hood, wish I had taken some before pics of the entire engine and bay prior to disassembly. Thank you to everyone on this forum for the help! Now time to tuck the harnesses while waiting for cam to come in from FTI so I can assemble the engine.

How long should I let the clear dry before starting to mess with getting things back together?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Id pull the tape off while the clear is not fully dry. Be careful you don't touch any cleared areas while it is still tacky. This way you dont risk lifting any paint off with the masking tape.

Id leave the masked harness though until it fully cures. Give it till tomorrow.

So just strut towers, fenders and cowl unmask as those are more important areas.

Looks really nice.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I was worried about the same thing so I pulled exactly that stuff about an hour after spraying it. Should I be concerned about everything on the firewall comming off tomorow without pulling the paint off? My first paint project, don't want to ruin it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would not worry about that too much. When reassembled you wont see much of firewall and there is a seal up by the cowl area anyways. I think you will be fine. You addressed the major areas that are easily visible already.

How much base and clear ( i know you used cans) did you end up using? And what brand of 2k clear did you use? I do a lot of diy rattle can paint projects and am always interested in what others are using.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I used 2.5 cans of 12 oz paint mixed at local paint shop. I also used 2.5 cans of Spray Max 2K, #368 0061. I think it worked very well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Great job!!! looks awsome. I would give it atleast 24hrs before I started trying to reinstall parts. Of course the longer the better. You will be fine to pull the rest of the tape and masking tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Looks great! It makes me want to do my car too!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thx guys, tucking wires now too to keep it all clean looking. I will post up a couple more pics when the tuck is done. I wouldn't hesitate to use rattle can again either, its only an engine bay doesn't need to be perfect. It is very time consuming if you take it on 90trunk.

Reactions: 90trunk

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
---snip---
It is very time consuming if you take it on 90trunk.
How much time have you put into prep and applying paint to get to this point? I'm sure cleaning and scuffing the surface takes quite a while to do a thorough job.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Not even sure, I am currently off work for minor medical issue. I pick away at it every day for a few hours. About 2 weeks to get here but engine was already disassembled. Purple Powered small sections at a time, scrub with nylon brush and just normal kitchen sponges. Scuffed everything as I went along cleaning, that part was easy. Painting was quick, 3 quick coats 10-15 min in between dried for about an hour and put on 3 coats of clear 10 min between them. Took a good bit of time to foil and tape everything but my 11 year old daughter helped. She thought the foil was fun to apply.

Reactions: thadude and 90trunk

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Not even sure, I am currently off work for minor medical issue. I pick away at it every day for a few hours. About 2 weeks to get here but engine was already disassembled. Purple Powered small sections at a time, scrub with nylon brush and just normal kitchen sponges. Scuffed everything as I went along cleaning, that part was easy. Painting was quick, 3 quick coats 10-15 min in between dried for about an hour and put on 3 coats of clear 10 min between them. Took a good bit of time to foil and tape everything but my 11 year old daughter helped. She thought the foil was fun to apply.
I appreciate all of detail you've provided in your posts. It gives me an excellent guide to follow when I take on this project.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That came out amazing!!! Great job. I am really glad you went color match. I started with painting my engine bay and worked my way up to painting several of my cars.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Nice work, that came out looking great! Wouldn't guess that it was a rattle can job. I'm planning to do one in the next year or so and this is a nice guide to refer to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great work! You will thank yourself many times over for going with the body color on this. Now your only problem will be making all of your engine parts look as nice as the engine bay you just painted 😁 It's a bug that won't quit for me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thx for all the positive feed back. I'm working on getting everything else to look clean also. Here are a couple pics of progress.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts