Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have a TFS 2 cam installed in my engine, straight up and it has a mild lope to the idle. Then I advance the cam 4 degrees, What does that do to the idle quality? Does it make it lope more or less?
Same questions if I retard it 4 degrees from straight up.
Thanks
Danford1

·
Registered
23,273 Posts
from my limited understanding, advancing the cam lowers the peak torque rpm point

so you extrapolate from that

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indy, please just tell me if advancing the cam makes it lope more or less at idle. I'm asking because I don't know. Extrapolating isn't going to help me. Thanks

Reactions: 5.0carlo

·
Registered
23,273 Posts
no change in lope

do you know what the 'lope' tractor sound is a function of?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Advancing makes all the valve events happen sooner. I.E, intake opens sooner, closes sooner. Retarding is vice-versa. I was under the impression the lope sound was as consequence of the amount of valve overlap. If that's the case, advancing/retarding will not change that unless you have DOHC. As far as idle quality, advancing will probably improve it, as you won't loose as much dynamic compression as consequence of the intake staying open longer than needed past BDC. But really, the biggest issue is the valve overlap between the intake/exhaust profiles, which can't be changed unless you change cams.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys. I knew lope was determined by overlap, I just wasn't thinking hard enough.
I wasn't looking for any particular sound, just wondering if the lope would be different but now I know it won't be different.
Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
you should advance or retard the cam to achieve the rpm range of power you want to achieve I advanced my cam 4 degrees and now my rpm range is 1500 to 6200 with peak power at 5500

·
Registered
191 Posts
you should advance or retard the cam to achieve the rpm range of power you want to achieve I advanced my cam 4 degrees and now my rpm range is 1500 to 6200 with peak power at 5500
Just something to know, there are diminishing returns in either direction if you go to far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts