Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my own upgraded, relay equipped wiring harness for my 1991 coupe project's headlights. I'm going to run larger wire (vs the puny OEM wire) to each of the two headlight connectors from the relays. Now I know that I could just cut the OEM wires leaving about 3" and splice my new 12awg wire into that. However, I'd like to do it completely right so I want to take the OEM connector apart and replace the pins with new ones and crimp my new wire onto the new pins.

You can see in the two pictures that I've removed the red, "locking tab" but the 3 pins are still held in. What kind of tool do I use to disconnect the tang holding the pins in and how do I use the tool? I tried getting a small screwdriver down inside the connector but I wasn't successful in releasing the tangs holding the pins in.

Reactions: Quik5oh

·
Registered
25,013 Posts
there are special disconnect tools for the male pins

to release the female spades, I use a thin dental pic

you can see the middle tang quite easily

push the wire into the connector, gently move the tab and pull the wire at the same time

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are special disconnect tools for the male pins

to release the female spades, I use a thin dental pic

you can see the middle tang quite easily

push the wire into the connector, gently move the tab and pull the wire at the same time

Thank you, indy. Do you know what the tool is called to release the male pins?

I don't have a dental pick but I'll look and see if I can find something similar to reach down in there.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally got the headlight connector apart. I fashioned a tool out of a long cotter pin. I filed the end sharp as you can see in this picture:

With the sharpened end, I was able to lift up on a small tab down inside the connector and each of the female pins released. Here are a couple of pictures of the pins:

So now I need to try to source new pins that will work with larger gauge wire. Does anyone know what kind of pins these are and where I could buy some replacements? When I do a search on the internet, all I find are complete pigtails and that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the female pins only.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once again, indy2000 has the answer! Thank you, indy!!

connectorexperts.com has probably every connector made. I spent some time trying to find the exact connector but I'll probably have to contact them to make sure I get the correct connector. So many of them look very similar.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Subscribing... certainly interested in seeing the progress - sounds like it'll be a nice, clean modification!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts