Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched and searched. My daughters '98 V6 Stang is giving me fits. Some days the car starts fine.....other days the PATS kicks in. Would like to just bypass the darn thing.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Either have it turned off in a tune or have the dealership disable it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Before you disable it, you can probably fix it...

We just fixed a PATS problem on my Dad's 1999 Cobra. The car was experiencing an intermittent no start condition, and when it would not start the theft light would flash quickly, and it would crank no start. What we ultimately found was that the wiring harness for the transceiver was the culprit, and I believe this is how it occurred...

On his car, he used the tilt wheel every time he would get in and out of the vehicle. He would put the wheel all the way up to get out, then when he got back in he would readjust it to a comfortable position. Each time you use the tilt function in the Mustang, the transceiver wires are pulled up and down. I am not sure what gauge the wires are, but suffice it to say they are very small and fragile. These wires are flexing at the white connector that attaches to the main harness under the dash. Over time, the wires break, and then the no starts begin.

In the case of his car, when he had the steering wheel in the full up position, the wire would touch in the connector and allow the car to start. When he had the wheel in any other position, the connection was lost and the car would not start. We ended up removing the transceiver, fixing the wires into the connector (not fun, as they are crimped and have to be opened up... if the harness is available from Ford, I would just replace it if it is reasonable) and soldering the joints for added strength. Also, I disconnected the harness from its clipped position on the dash, so the wires aren't being stressed so badly when he uses the tilt.

So, the long and short is if you are having a PATS problem, look first to the wiring and connectors of the transceiver. Secondly, if you own an SN95 with PATS, be nice and easy when you are adjusting your steering wheel, and check the condition of your transceiver harness so you don't get stranded!

As an aside, the GM system functions completely differently from the Ford system, and it fails for a different reason.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll check around the transceiver wires further. I did find that the ground wire that goes up to the lock tumbler wasn't making good contact. Fixed that and thought I had it whooped. Nope. I did the 30 seconds key on in run position. That worked once a few months ago. I'll look around again. Gotta be something simple because sometimes it works like a charm. If I could just get it to work all the time or disable it......

My local dealer, the only one within 50 miles, told me with a smile that there is no way around the PATS.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What handheld tuner will disable the PATS?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have called 6 different dealerships and they all say it cannot be disabled.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I don't think a dealer would disable PATS, there isn't really an upside to them. I would call some local Mustang Tuner shops in your area, any decent one should be familiar with the system and how to disable it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What hand held can do this? Also, if I can get it to work, does the key have to be in the ignition or just close to the transponder? I was thinking it only had to be in range. I thought about storing it close to the transponder and using a regular key.

Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
What hand held can do this? Also, if I can get it to work, does the key have to be in the ignition or just close to the transponder? I was thinking it only had to be in range. I thought about storing it close to the transponder and using a regular key.

Am I on the right track?
I have no idea what handheld tuner can eliminate PATS.

I believe the key only has to be in range. However, if it is working correctly, why go to the trouble of hiding it near the transponder anyway? You might as well just use the chipped key at that point.

If you haven't checked the wires to the transponder, I would start with that before you beat your head against the wall. They are extremely small wires (like 5 copper strands per wire) and are probably broken. That is an easier fix than trying to track down someone to eliminate the PATS system altogether.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'm going to look at the wires a little closer when the weather breaks. Hiding the key within range would theoretically allow me to use a regular key. It is my, soon to be 16 year old, daughters car. She will lose the keys!!! Lol.

What part of STL are you in? I am originally from Spanish Lake.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to look at the wires a little closer when the weather breaks. Hiding the key within range would theoretically allow me to use a regular key. It is my, soon to be 16 year old, daughters car. She will lose the keys!!! Lol.

What part of STL are you in? I am originally from Spanish Lake.
I live in Ballwin, but work in Dellwood, so Spanish Lake isn't far at all from where I work.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
What handheld tuner will disable the PATS?
They are full of it. Had to disable it on my brothers Terminator conversion. We used a SCT handheld with a custom tune to disable the PATS. To write the tune you need special software, call some local performance shops and see if they can do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been researching this for a while and found a solution. It may also work for you. You do need the program to write a tune that can disable PATs. There are companies out there that can do it.
I am installing an 05 Mustang Engine and trans into an 51 ford truck. For me, I needed to buy a special harness that is essentially a trimmed down version of the facotry harness. Only Engine necessary connections exist on this harness. I bought it form Ron Francis.
a. I needed to buy the harness
b. I needed to buy the SCT tuner THEY sell that disables PATs as well as provides my engine a custom tune for the applicaiton.

I was trying to save a buck and see if there was a way to disable the PATs system ghetto style but I havent seen a post nor have I spoken to anyone that has done it.

Your situation is much differnet form mine but we both need to disable PATs. Ron Francis/the detail Zone have the special tune that disables PATs. I am sure they can take a stock tune and also disable PATs. for a fee of course...

hope this helps.

·
Registered
35,831 Posts
Folks who transplant Explorer engines into other vehicles (with the Explorer ecu) deal with this all the time. It takes a tune -- you might want to visit the Explorer forums and ask there.

·
Registered
685 Posts
ford dealerships can not eliminate pats with the software that they have. it can be done with an aftermarket tune but its going to be cheaper and easier to fix. 99% of the time, the transceiver on the column is bad. dealerships don't usually deal much with performance swaps so turning it off for that reason would have to be in a tune from a performance shop. Turning it off because someone is too cheap to fix it or just tired of it poses a high legallity issue with removing an anti theft device on a vehicle. Also, like I said the software they use does not support that function.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Sniper special forces is a budget tuner that can disable it. Not exactly your common handheld though.

I would ask a SCT tuner if they can just put the disable function on a J3 chip. You can get the used chips cheap on the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
PATS issues on the Ford models is almost always just the keys themselves. You can easily break the chip inside the key head simply by tossing your keys on the counter, etc. More often than not, simply getting (or using) another key is all that's needed.

I see this all the time at work, its not a big deal. If you do want to do more of a permanent bypass, simply open up the top of the key and pull out the transponder pellet and glue it inside the steering column next to the transponder pickup. You can then use a reg. key as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i am having all kinds of trouble with the pats on my 2000 ford f150. in one of your posts you said you can remove it from the pcm for $100. can you help me?? having a 5000lb paper weight in my driveway sucks. thanks joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts