Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Hoosier Quick Time Pros (like MT ET STreets). I just found a hole in the tread area of the tire. I was able to plug it and it holds air fine.

Is it okay to run it with a plug? I wonder how the plug will hold up to burning out especially.

I would rather not take it to get patched since I am using bead screws, and I am concerned the shop won't be able to line up the holes after they do the patch. The holes will leak for sure.

Right now I am thinking about just running them with the plug and keeping an eye on the situation. I could always replug them at the track if necessary. I think if I really trim the plug down short it won't be a problem though.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Patch it. Just mark where a bead screw (or the valve stem) is on each tire and the tire shop won't have any problmes lining them up.

ks;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
If they used the tool that looks like a wine bottle opener you wouldn't have to take the tire off the wheel. They just put some gummy material at the tip of the tool and stick into the hole. I would just be careful next time you go to the track. after your first burnout take an easy run at lower speeds and check it in the pits to see if it held up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Patch it!

Patches are the only acceptable long term fix for a repair. Plugs are only specified for short term fixes. Many people use plugs as long term fixes and get by with it, an unfortunate few do not. Most reputable tire shops will not even consider plugs as they have caused many to go bankrupt due to law suits. As you can tell my recommendation is the patch. If that does not work, you tried. Good luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I ran over a self tapping screw 4 miles from the track the other night. I made the decision to plug it and drive it back home than to take it to Walmart (possibly the only thing open) and risk some unexperienced person messing up my wheel. The tire is certainly unusable now for racing and I will have to replace it. The tire had 300 miles on it.

If you have the option of patching it, do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts