Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 94 cobra and am in the process of replacing the head unit, amp, and speakers. I bought everything from Crutchfield so I have the "amp bypass" harness, which I don't think will work but more on that later. I was wondering if anyone has removed the factory amp that sits underneath the radio. I tried to last night but the bolts holding it in do not have a head if that makes sense, they are just round. Anybody have any tips that has done it before? The next thing I was going to try was to remove the shifter trim panel and see if that gives me access to anything else that I can't currently see.

The amp bypass harness from Crutchfield is a Metra 70-1770. It comes with a grey connector for power to the head unit and a black connector that wires to the speakers. When I unplug the speaker connector that's plugged into the amp, that plug is a different size than the black Metra connector. Maybe I am missing something? Metra makes another harness package that comes with the same grey connector but with a black connector that looks more similar to the speaker plug that goes into the factory amp. I think I need that connector instead but Crutchfield doesn't even sell it, and I assumed they sent me EXACTLY what I would need (they knew I had the system with factory amp).

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Does the 94 cobra come with the Mach sound system found on the 96 and up cars. If it does then good luck. To date I’ve never seen someone post where they upgraded and had zero issues unless they replaced everything including the wiring.

Now if it’s like the fox body then yes most everyone removes the factory amp. They are known for going bad and with the cars being 25 years old most are long gone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts