Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have your fired the car? Quick side note. The coils on my car were what I thought was ls1 coils. Turns out they were off of an escalade... Which made them a + trigger. Not a big deal, but took me a while to figure it out. Though I might save someone in this forum some time...
Yup i got mine started and tuned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_CbHVFR99M

not done with it yet to the point where i'd be comfortable driving it, but its getting there

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Have your fired the car? Quick side note. The coils on my car were what I thought was ls1 coils. Turns out they were off of an escalade... Which made them a + trigger. Not a big deal, but took me a while to figure it out. Though I might save someone in this forum some time...
Can you explain the "a + trigger"? I also have a set of LQ9s off of an '08 Escalade for my DIS and EPM. I have not installed it yet but will be putting it all in end of March.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If the LQ9 coils need a + signal to fire vs a completed ground like the LSx couils.. My assumption would be he used relays... So when the ECU sent completed the ground the relay would trigger and cause the coil to fire...

:confused:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can you explain the "a + trigger"? I also have a set of LQ9s off of an '08 Escalade for my DIS and EPM. I have not installed it yet but will be putting it all in end of March.
Hey guys,

Im not sure if the LQ9 coils need a + source to fire... I miss typed aparently the ones I have are off of a "Northstar". The relay will not work because they are not high speed enough (delay on the connection of the electromagnent). I could not get the coils to fire so I tested the trigger to + and they fired. I them made the jumper change and the car started...

here is the article about it:

Been trying to do as much searching on the archives regarding individual coil outputs for what I need to do to make this work.

I'm a GM tech by trade, came across a spare set of 4 2006 Northstar ignition coils from a 4.4L SRX, This year of coils have the built in Igniter, pretty much just like LS series coils but a direct COP. They fit perfectly (need to build a mounting plate) onto my 1990 Eagle Talon 4G63. Currently I'm running the AEM 30-1300 EMS unit with stock 90 transistor module and stock waste spark coils.

I bench tested one of the coils today to test what type of signal it requires to fire,
The northstar ignition coil that I have is exactly the same as LS2 style ignition coil. 12V source (pinA), Ign trigger (pinB) Low Reference (not needed, stock ecu monitoring wire pinC) and Ground (pinD)
The coil fires when triggered by tapping the trigger wire to a 12V source. I'm unsure if the stock ECU sends a 5v or 12v signal but doing some reading on the forums I found this thread regarding the fact that standard LS1 coils are a Pull to ground signal (much like most AEM boxes are setup) to trigger the coil.

This coil is exactly the same as the LS2 coil that AnArKey was trying to make work after he found out that they were not the same as a standard LS1 style coil. Also sounds like even with just a 5v signal to the coils they fire fine. I'm hoping that these coils I have should fire the same with a 5v trigger signal.

From that thread IF my AEM 30-1300 ecu is similar I'm going to need to swap the JPC internal pins or ensure that they are setup to be jumper-ed from pins 1/2 instead of 2/3 to send a 5v trigger source signal to trigger the coils. (as per turbo97se reply on 2nd page)

I'll also need to setup the spare "Coil#3" and "Coil#4" outputs in the AEM software to trigger for the respective coils. Any reason why I couldn't use these two Coil outputs? Should be fine there eh.
What else in the AEM software will I need to enable or setup to ensure the coils are triggered in the proper sequence/degree? I'm assuming I'm going to have to let it know a degree reference from the stock CAS (crank/cam angle sensor) perhaps?

As well one of our older electrical guys here is suggesting that I put a 470ohm resistor in series with the wiring for the coil igniter trigger wires as a backup to ensure that the ECU doesn't end up getting fried or that it doesn't overload the Ignition module as we're unsure what type of amperage/voltage rating the stock GM PCM sends these coils and thus keep from burning out the coil driver.

Am I on the right track so far in terms of what I have to change internally and or any other input in regards to setting up the settings in the software to ensure it will fire properly would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately the car is apart at the moment so I can't do any testing on the car at the moment, Have the wiring harness out at the moment to remove unneeded wiring and figured now is the time to add in or reroute and pin the wiring I need to to make this work.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
That is a knock-off of the Eddy Performer...correct? So those coils fit on the covers without a spacer? If so, do you have and pics of the clearance on the drivers side valve covers to upper? I was considering mounting mine similarly to yours, but didn't think there was enough clearance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
theres enough clearance if you have a fox style throttle body.. with the SN95 style theres not (which is why I modified the EGR elbow)

and yeah, its the edelbrock knock-off

Oh I just looked at your sig... It'll fit with the fox setup

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
theres enough clearance if you have a fox style throttle body.. with the SN95 style theres not (which is why I modified the EGR elbow)

and yeah, its the edelbrock knock-off

Oh I just looked at your sig... It'll fit with the fox setup
Cool, thanks! What about the drivers side....is there plenty of room?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
drivers side had plenty of room -- i didn't get out to the car today.. was working on some other projects for the fiance.. :mad: i'll try to get a pic for you tomorrow

actually.. if you look at the pictures i posted above.. you can see the clearance below the intake... the elbow drops down atleast 1" still and clears it.. so i would assume you'd have about 1 - 1 1/2" of clearance without a problem

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
need help trying to wire up ls1 coils but i do not know where to get the 5v trigger to make them fire?
First post.

Did you even read this thread? Virtual step by step.

What ECU, what car? Need way more info.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts