Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the 94/95 thread... but i guess it would have been better to put in here ..

Decided to put them on the valve covers LSx style

Now to finish wiring it up

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Cool you are going to like it.

I am going to be doing another install on a turbo car in the next few weeks

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I am loving the 94-95 action. Lots of pics and a full write up if you can.

Wouldn't have been easier to get the coil harness instead of doing them individually? Just asking. My truck coils I found came with the harnesses and I am yet to do the install.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am loving the 94-95 action. Lots of pics and a full write up if you can.

Wouldn't have been easier to get the coil harness instead of doing them individually? Just asking. My truck coils I found came with the harnesses and I am yet to do the install.
imo I think it's easier getting the harnesses... I had to extend mine a bit because I spread the coils out on the VC, but it was easier than havnig to do it all from scratch.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually have the harness..

I put it aside a when I bought the damn coils and forgot about it...

I ended up making the pig tails and decided since I made them I'd use them..

I like the way I've done it like this and it *should* look pretty clean once I get everything loomed up...

94cobra - How did you power your coils? What did you tap for it? I haven't had a chance to figure out where I want to pull the power from yet - I do have everything else wired up now though :cool:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I tapped into the distributor plug. I got a plug off a junk fox body to plug into it so I didn't have to cut any wires.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was worried about possibly blowing a fuse taping all 8 into that one 14ga wire

Figured 8 coils would pull alot more power than the one stock one :confused:

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
I power mine with the stock coil power wire. Ground it right to the head.

Tim

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since both of you guys powered yours off that one wire I guess its safe to do.. LOL

Guess I'll modify my wiring a little bit then and run it directly to the old coil power connection

Do you guys know if the coil still gets power w/o a TFI module installed? I would assume so, but I'm at work ATM and unable to go check it at the moment :cool:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got everything wired up and ready to go.. Went to install the upper/elbow/TB and of course it didn't fit...

Elbow/TB was hitting the coils..

So instead of throwing my brand new throttle body away and buying a fox body one I decided to get creative with the elbow..

What do you guys think? Need to clean up the outside and smooth out the inside and it'll be good to go

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it *might* have, but the only size available was a 1/2"..

I wanted a little more clearance above the coil to make it easier to change plug wires or replace the coils. Doing it this way brought the T/B up about an inch giving me plenty of room

Was also a good learning experience considering I've never used a tig welder before :rofl:

·
Registered
32 Posts
How did you mount the coil packs on your valve cover? I was thinking about running ls2 coilpacks with megasquirt, but I wasnt sure how to mount them. Your intake fits without a spacer (height wise)?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had to modify the elbow on mine -- if i had a Fox T/B it would have fit w/o any sort of spacer..

All i did was weld 4 nuts to each valve cover and bolted the brackets directly to them

I cut the "ear" off for the EGR valve (where the bottom bolt hole went) but then the throttle IAC was hitting the coils.. So i cut a big chuck out of my EGR elbow and welded it all back together..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have your fired the car? Quick side note. The coils on my car were what I thought was ls1 coils. Turns out they were off of an escalade... Which made them a + trigger. Not a big deal, but took me a while to figure it out. Though I might save someone in this forum some time...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts