Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
can anybody recommend a well fitting 6 point cage for a 86 hatch, preferably fairly light as well

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,043 Posts
chromoly will keep it as light as possible, although focus should be on safety and chassis.

i did through-the-floor sub-frame connectors when i did my 8 point roll bar, tied to the lower tq boxes, which were reinforced at the same time, with outriggers for the bars to tie it so its part of the ttf subs and not the floor, upper tq boxes tied to the bar.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I've been happy with the fit of the Maximum motorsport with swing out door bars.

Reactions: Blwn331

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a Jegs 6-point in mine. I'm not exactly sure what company they were using to outsource their cages. At the time it was either Competition Engineering or Rhodes Race Cars.

NHRA Legal up to 9.99.

The main hoop fits nicely against the headliner.

I'd call the fitment 9/10. A taller person would need to have the harness bar modified a bit, as both myself and a friend got the same style cage installed, and he needed to adjust that.
I recommend this cage to all of those on a tighter budget with their car.

It passed tech with flying colors at Irwindale Raceway in October of 2018.

Stock LX Seats fit snug

It really is a nice cage for the money.

At the time I got this installed I just couldn't dish out the $800-$1000 for a Wild Rides or Team Z unit, which were first on my choice list. That being said I am really happy with my $300 Jegs cage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you going be racing with a org if so check with them to make sure everything is up to spec also the best fitting cages are custom made ask at ur local track for shops in the area the price will be a little more but will fit 100% and then can also tie it in to

·
Dean Scheidt
3,464 Posts
I really liked my Maximum Motorsports 6-point roll bar with swing out doors. NHRA legal and didn't even notice them when driving on the street.

maximum motosports 6 point bolt on rolling bar?

Hopefully Photobucket won't completely kill my pictures again. Right now they show up in the link I provided above.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
A 6pt cage only certifies to 10.99 1/4 mi. That's a lot of work, and a lot of hassle for a car that's only going to be legal 10.99 or slower.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
And it depends on why you need/want a roll bar. Set goals for the car, order a roll bar that fits the needs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A 6pt cage only certifies to 10.99 1/4 mi. That's a lot of work, and a lot of hassle for a car that's only going to be legal 10.99 or slower.
Most are good for 10.00

Roll Cages required on all cars running 10.99* or faster than 135mph. *One exception: full-bodied cars running between 10.00 and 10.99, with unaltered firewalls, floor and body (from firewall rearward - wheel tubes permitted) can compete with just a roll bar.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the reply's everyone, Max Motorsport is definitely on my list to check out.
Im not racing in a sanctioning body or class but the tech at the track is starting to ask more questions, last pass was 11.55 and It looks like I will need a 6pt bar at 11.49 so figured I should at start look into it, they also asked if I had a sfi jacket too, so got that ordered.

I do have sfi balancer and flywheel already, looking at the rulebook I'm going to need the 6point bar with Harness, SFI bellhousing and probably later next year C clip eliminators (I will do that when I i go to a spool)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a Jegs 6-point in mine. I'm not exactly sure what company they were using to outsource their cages. At the time it was either Competition Engineering or Rhodes Race Cars.
View attachment 1067629
NHRA Legal up to 9.99.
View attachment 1067630

That looks good, How hard was the install?
The main hoop fits nicely against the headliner.
View attachment 1067631
I'd call the fitment 9/10. A taller person would need to have the harness bar modified a bit, as both myself and a friend got the same style cage installed, and he needed to adjust that.
I recommend this cage to all of those on a tighter budget with their car.
View attachment 1067632
It passed tech with flying colors at Irwindale Raceway in October of 2018.
View attachment 1067633
Stock LX Seats fit snug
View attachment 1067634
It really is a nice cage for the money.
View attachment 1067640
At the time I got this installed I just couldn't dish out the $800-$1000 for a Wild Rides or Team Z unit, which were first on my choice list. That being said I am really happy with my $300 Jegs cage.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Were talking about an 86 mustang here, so rules applying to any other chassis are irrelevant.

·
Registered
85 mustang
59 Posts
I purchased my 8 point cage from wild rides race cars from NJ. I had the day off and drove there to pick up the cage.
only had to do some minor fitting. Very happy how it turned out.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,464 Posts
The Maximum Motorsports one I installed that's in the link I provided is good to 10.00 in the quarter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I purchased my 8 point cage from wild rides race cars from NJ. I had the day off and drove there to pick up the cage.
only had to do some minor fitting. Very happy how it turned out.
Thanks, will check them out as well!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I stand corrected, looks like 10.00 unless a convertible. Call Wild rides chassis, my 10pt is currently on order from them, good guys to talk to.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up ordering the Maximum Motorsports 6 point, should be here in 3-4 weeks!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I ended up ordering the Maximum Motorsports 6 point, should be here in 3-4 weeks!
I had one of those in my coupe 10 years ago. It’s an easy install and fits well. If you choose to bolt it in it would be easy to take back out later if you go faster an decide to go chromoly 10pt etc. keep in mind it’s pretty heavy, so you are likely to lose a tenth in e.t. Good luck with your install.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts