Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys this is my first post and I will appreciate any information.
This problem I am having and don't know exactly what is wrong. I installed duel welbro 450 lph to feed -6 feeding line and stock return line. What wire gage should I use ? for now am running gage 12 if i remember right with (40/60 amp) which I guess means 60 amp relay for both pumps. after driving for 2k miles the relay went bad and could not get the pumps to start. today I replaced it with another 60 amp relay. What is the problem here that made it go bad in short time ? I am using 30 amp fuse, the one that has a cylinder shape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think your pumps are drawing around 20-25 amps a piece at full speed, 60 amp should be alright with a 10 gauge wire. Verify your grounds are good and check for anything obvious that may cause this. Possible one of your pumps may be drawing excessive voltage. I would suggest running 10 gauge wire to your pumps with an extra ground from your fuel pump module to frame just to be safe. If you have or know how to watch amp draw on your fuel pump circuit that would tell you where you are sitting. From what I have witnessed it sounds like you may have a pump that is not so well, I have seen many circuits overloaded without burning up relays or fuses unless there was a faulty motor or ground issue. There are also numerous sites with wire gauge vs. amp ratings available on the net. Sorry but I think you may have a faulty pump, second replacement is always more efficient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your response, but I do not have a fuel pump module because I switch to return style fuel system. sorry I have should explain more. It is 2002 mustang gt with lightning swap engine. I used the Factory feeding line as a return line. and added -6an as a feeding line. so the pumps are running at full efficient at all time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts