Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
You might want to check the vacuum line mounted to driver side firewall adjacent to power brake booster. It's a line that hangs down from the fitting. Fixed my cruise control. HTH

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is it the plastic rod part of the cruise cable that breaks from the "block" plastic piece? Because that's what I have. I'm considering fabbing one out of metal

·
Registered
275 Posts
hmmm? mine is a short hose from the plastic block that has a coupling kind of splice that can get disconnected.
I just used a zip tie to secure it. hth

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm looking at parts from a parts car, the cruise cable is intact, but the plastic tip part that is molded to the block with the dowel is broke. That's what I am referring to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1991 5.0 LX with auto trans and my cruise control doesnt work, I dont think I have ever seen a fox body mustang with a working cruise control system. What goes wrong with them? How do I fix mine?
where can I purchase cruise control cable for my 1988 Mustang GT Automatic. This is the cable that attaches to the Throttle body linkage

·
Registered
24,268 Posts
you cant

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Used only. Check eBay. Prepare to be shocked.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you watch eBay used Rotunda, Thexton 129, or OTC 7950 cruise control (CC) testers show up. They typically look very clean and don't appear to have taken a lot of abuse in the shop. The tester plugs into the amplifier and will help diagnose electrical problems. I didn't have CC issues, but purchased the tool in case something crops up in the future. I paid $35.00 shipped for an OTC 7950 in 2019, so it's not a huge investment. The Thexton 129 (image courtesy of eBay) looks just like my OTC 7950.
I have the EVTM and Shop Manuals for my '90, but the CC tester will save grief if I have to start troubleshooting.

If you are into Foxbodies and like your CC, it's also time to start buying up CC components from your buddy stripping CC systems out of a parts car. I picked up a complete CC system from a fellow Corraler at a modest cost. Bonus points if you buy something you know was working properly.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I actually just picked up all the cruise components to install the system in my car. My car was never equipped with it, but I added the Saleen style cruise buttons to my Momo wheel and decided I wanted a functional system.

The servo, cable and module are easy to find. The steering column harness can be a little tricky. Pedal assemblies are different as non-cruise assemblies doesnt habe the mounts for the vacuum dump and the clutch switch. However, the brackets bolt onto the pedal box so you can strip the parts and add it onto a non-cruise box.

the column wiring harness (at least on 84-89) cars lacks 1 wire for the cruise. So you need to replace this one harness with the 3 contact fingers. The harness, cruise module and clutch switch all plug into existing wiring.

the biggest hurdle for me is the cruise vacuum dump switch plastic depresser doesn’t work well with the MM hydroboost pedal. I’ll need to fabricate something for this.

Easy install once you have the parts. Weight isn’t that much. 6-7 pounds? Many guys are stripping them out of cars. eBay tends to be a bit spendy for good servos and cables, but if you find someone who still considers these parts worthless you can get them cheap.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I actually just picked up all the cruise components to install the system in my car. My car was never equipped with it, but I added the Saleen style cruise buttons to my Momo wheel and decided I wanted a functional system.

The servo, cable and module are easy to find. The steering column harness can be a little tricky. Pedal assemblies are different as non-cruise assemblies doesnt habe the mounts for the vacuum dump and the clutch switch. However, the brackets bolt onto the pedal box so you can strip the parts and add it onto a non-cruise box.

the column wiring harness (at least on 84-89) cars lacks 1 wire for the cruise. So you need to replace this one harness with the 3 contact fingers. The harness, cruise module and clutch switch all plug into existing wiring.

the biggest hurdle for me is the cruise vacuum dump switch plastic depresser doesn’t work well with the MM hydroboost pedal. I’ll need to fabricate something for this.

Easy install once you have the parts. Weight isn’t that much. 6-7 pounds? Many guys are stripping them out of cars. eBay tends to be a bit spendy for good servos and cables, but if you find someone who still considers these parts worthless you can get them cheap.
Exactly what I did for my 86. I had a later model steering shaft with cruise and stripped out the harness and cruise/horn rings. Bought some 01 Cobra cruise buttons and mimicked the Momo cruise button solution on my stock non-cruise wheel. When I bought my used cruise components I made sure that it came with the fender mount, body plug, wiring harness and computer, throttle cable and trans harness.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I was fortunate that my car was in a state of disassembly because i'm not sure I would have taken the time to install the CC had it not been apart. No fenders on the car, and I had the dash off. Because of that fact, it was very easy to add factory OEM cruise control to my non-cruise '88.

The pedal assembles are different in the sense that the mounts for the brake vac switch and the clutch cancel switch bolt to the pedal assembly and are not present on the non-cruise assemblies. They can be added, but you need to be very flexible if you intend on getting them on a pedal assembly with the dash in place. you will swear a lot.

I put together a thread on what I found during my research in terms of parts, part numbers, wiring diagrams, and some diagnostic info. When I was searching for this, I found very little info, other than the typical "Throw that in the trash" comments, especially on Bookface.

Pertains mostly to the 87-93 cars, but I think 84-86 is the same.

Since this thread is likely to get searched for and bumped again, some more info won't hurt.

Reactions: 90trunk

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I have an 86 E&V Manual that helped a lot. Still had to mod some stuff. I installed all the under fender pieces, throttle cable, wiring to the brain, vacuum lines, etc. while the car was assembled. Wasn't a big deal except under the dash.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Thanks for the information and links. I'm posting here for reference, if I need help later. I'll be dealing with the 98-01 Explorer CC system, but some parts may swap in either direction, for two of my projects(Ranchero and LSC).

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Little info on the aftermarket I installed (Very easy)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts