Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the middle of restoring my 87 Gt. I’m converting from speed density to the Holley terminator kit. I also have GT40 heads with upgraded valve springs and push rods GT40 intake, 24lb injectors W/ aeromotove adj. fuel pressure regulator, 255lph fuel pump, 3.73 gear, shorty headers, off road h pipe, flowmaster cat back, I currently have an F cam that came with a parts bundle that I bought awhile ago so my questions is what are your thoughts on an Fcam in my combo and does any one have recommendations for a better camshaft. I’m not looking to tear the engine back down In a few weeks because I made the wrong cam choice. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

·
USAF retired
9,121 Posts
Are you just wanting to drive the car around and enjoy a little more power and torque than the stock cam, still get reasonable mileage, and for the car to not have any bad manners.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t care about gas mileage and by no means will I drive it regularly. Just something to cruise on the weekends and maybe have a track day every once in awhile.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I can give you my personal experience. I have 3 foxes. One has a stock cam, I have the trick flow stage 1 cam in another one with heads, intake and it lacks low end in my opinion. My third car, 1990 convertible withan AOD has GT40X aluminum heads, a comp cam XE264HR14 cam and I love that cam. Good power and virtually zero idle and driveablilty issues. Here is a video at idle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Since you are going with the Holley ECU, you will be able to tune for different cam so no stock ECU worries. Your cam choice is going to be dictated by your current valve springs, compression and your piston to valve clearance. May want to consider a custom piece as off the shelf choices will be limited

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can give you my personal experience. I have 3 foxes. One has a stock cam, I have the trick flow stage 1 cam in another one with heads, intake and it lacks low end in my opinion. My third car, 1990 convertible withan AOD has GT40X aluminum heads, a comp cam XE264HR14 cam and I love that cam. Good power and virtually zero idle and driveablilty issues. Here is a video at idle.

Thats awesome. I have that cam in my most recent build. Can’t wait to finally fire it up soon.
Was looking for something mild, with good low rpm driveability. Nice ‘vert btw.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I had a similar positive experience with the XE270HR-12 cam.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went a completely different direction yesterday purchased Trick flow twisted wedge 170cc aluminum heads with matching valve train, and push rods and n-41 cam with a Holley systemax intake 😬😬 all that was brand new and the guy threw in a 5 psi powerdyne supercharger the whole lot for $1900 couldn’t pass!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Make sure you do some research on the IAC settings for your Terminator X. You'll need a laptop to set up the proper output to drive the Ford IAC. Still don't understand why Holley doesn't do this for a "Fox body specific" kit. Also, you need to get the Holley transducers to be able to monitor fuel pressure and oil pressure with the system.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Make sure you do some research on the IAC settings for your Terminator X. You'll need a laptop to set up the proper output to drive the Ford IAC. Still don't understand why Holley doesn't do this for a "Fox body specific" kit. Also, you need to get the Holley transducers to be able to monitor fuel pressure and oil pressure with the system.
I was able to configure the IAC with the included 3.5" handheld...No laptop required. And FYI, the Holley harness plugs directly into an Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Crower 15512

Reactions: Quik5oh
1 - 16 of 16 Posts