Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
like i said this is the first we are aware of. nhra made the clevelands run more weight. dad asked the tech guys at several races, how they determined what the engine was. they told him over and over, they go by the block. no one ran a windsor. they could run the same weight as the chebbys. so dad built this engine. when they went to tech it, they still tried to call it a cleveland. he showed them the 351w cast in the valley, the timing cover, etc...they said but look at those canted valves! he told them to not worry about that cause you go by the block and therefore you get to weigh what the other guys did. right before the finals, the chebby guys and tech guys came to the trailer and told him to pull the hood. he did and they went to crying about him running to light for a cleveland. lee hunter came over and grinned and marveled and told them it sure isn't a cleveland. nhra changed the rules right then and there and said they go by the heads and to add weight. chickens*%&. they added the weight for the finals. as mike went to stage the car, the throwout bearing seized and it tookoff and red lit. this engine was quite the shakeup for pro stock at the time. it was a cast iron w block. 400m crank he turned down in his lathe to fit. the heads were from his first p/s engine he bought from roush. it was only raced that race. quickest pass was 8.55 @ 162. it's on draglist. driven by mike schmitt('64 nhra world champ) who was my dad's best friend. still sounds awesome 30+ years later...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ford Pro Stock MII

Wow great info!, if you guys were one of the first to run a Clevor back in the mid 70's then thats another big feather in your fathers cap, 8.55 sec is Very impressive. SOUNDS GREAT!, the mustang II was an awesome body to use for prostock back then, I just loved the look of the MII and they got the right formula :)small car/big motor:).

here's a few more p/s MII pics...

The mustang II bodies were Officially the First and Second in P/S racing to get into the 7's

:salute::salute::salute:

·
Registered
8 Posts
i agree on the stang ii being a good looking pro car. i don't remember that c/g car but it's a nice looking car. as far as who all did what, idk. but i do know this setup made nhra change their rules on the ford weight break.

lee hunter was an alright guy. i can remember lee having a nitrous line pop in the staging lanes(fremont i think) and it frosting up the 1/4 panel of his car earning him the nickname "frosty", lol. he had trouble qualifying for a while after that but did get back in the game eventually.

dyno don was a neat guy and a racers racer. my dad had a large body shop in southern cali back in the 70's and traded out some paint work with dyno for some trick intake work on an edelbrock tunnel ram. dad had even loaned him a roush 331 rotating assy so he could make a race somewhere as his crank wasn't finished in time. it was sure a different era than now. i still think it was the golden years for pro stock.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
KENDIG CARBS

Hey rastiss (or anyone else out there) do you by chance know any info or have any engine pics of Dynos Dons old KENDIG carbed p/s maverick/pinto, I understand they outlawed/changed the rules because of Don using these carbs?. I would sure love to find any old engine pics/info with these carbs before they were band by nhra because of holley crying they were fuel injection carbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
don't really have any pics or anything on them. i can remember dad talking about them years ago. dad had told me dyno don didn't have a whole lot of luck with them(don't remember what the deal was but i'll see if he remembers). wasn't aware that they weren't legal in nhra. seems like the rules were worded maximum of 2 carbs i.e. no webers, no fuel injection, etc...we have some old rule books somewhere. next ime i go to visit my parents, i'll try to find out. dad told me he ran across an old entry packet from the winternats that i am looking forward to seeing as well.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Kendig carbs

From the bit that I have heard is that the racers in the california area that started using these carbs that were sponsored/helped by Mr Kendig himself back then would of stayed with them/using them as heard it had some serious potental if it was not for holley/nhra. There is some very interesting reading that can be found on the net when digging about the whole Kendig carburetor deal... conspiracys, screw overs, the works. I think these carbs could have made some waves with racers back then if not for the politics of the day back then. Apparently it was then the closest thing you could have to fuel injection with out having fuel injection.

Predator Carb

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
i can't BELIEVE their could be any b.s. with nhra, lol. i haven't talked to dad about about them yet. seems like their was issues synchronizing 2 of them maybe? certainly would be a viable option for a blow thru. i can remember in the 80's wanting one cause they looked so cool and unorthodox. they were more of a racing carb(wide open) than a streeter carb. dad ran some weber 48ida's on a couple of gurney headed boss 302's(still have). nhra techs used to cry that they were fuel injection as well. never understood that, cause of the velocity stacks maybe? pretty much anything they couldn't understand, they would make illegal if it was on a ford.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ran across this thread looking for info on my cars. I have 3 Comet Cyclones and one Fairlane that were used by Kendig in the early 70s for drag development. Sorry dobn't have engine pics as the cars were all missing the engines. Did get 2 nos Kendig carbs in the deal.
From the bit that I have heard is that the racers in the california area that started using these carbs that were sponsored/helped by Mr Kendig himself back then would of stayed with them/using them as heard it had some serious potental if it was not for holley/nhra. There is some very interesting reading that can be found on the net when digging about the whole Kendig carburetor deal... conspiracys, screw overs, the works. I think these carbs could have made some waves with racers back then if not for the politics of the day back then. Apparently it was then the closest thing you could have to fuel injection with out having fuel injection.

Predator Carb

Attachments

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
back in high school, late 80's, i ran a carb similar to the kendig on my 1965 mustang street car, it was from a company called predator..worked well,once i got it sorted out..these pic's bring back memories

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Ratiss if you ever return here pls send me a PM pls. Have a question for you!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
402 BOSS

:D ...402 boss/clevor, the production engine Ford could/should of made in the late 60's... :D

> FORD XE 351 CLEVOR <

> 351/400 CLEVOR BUILD <

anyone here remember/know what the rules were regarding the wheel base rules of the p/s cars???
remember reading something about a min 100" wb rule
:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ford Pro Stock

more DD P/S MII

> Sold For $82,000 <

DD taken care of business... just under 1900 libs in match race trim

the Mustang II body design was the most aerodynamic of ALL the Mustang body designs made before it

its almost as if the MII body design was Made for Drag Racing, MII sure made the chevy/mopar racers in P/S cry lots in its time

DD's MII ran 8.06sec @ 165mph with a alum 406ci hybrid T/A clev/or eng and was the FIRST P/S NHRA race car into the 7's with his MII

:cool:

Attachments

21 - 40 of 50 Posts