Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Mustang GT convertible
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced my fuel pump (Car Quest model) twice now. As it turns out, this pump is made in China. They have notoriously bad manufacturing from my experience and no quality control. Mexican parts are not much better. The Airtex brand made there is junk too. Does anyone know a reliable electronic fuel pump to use?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Go with a good brand like Walbro. Not sure if Walbro has been outsourced now and is made in China but I have 2 on my car and they have been running fine for many years.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Go with a good brand like Walbro. Not sure if Walbro has been outsourced now and is made in China but I have 2 on my car and they have been running fine for many years.
Real walbros are still good pumps and reliable, its the chinese knock offs rhat have problems, and some are very real looking and hard to tell apart in pics. Its best to not buy any walbro pump off ebay or any unknown buyer and stick to paying a little more from an authorized dealer. In the emd saving $30-50 isnt worth it when it goes out and you have to buy another anyway. I went through tanks inc when I bought my walbro and they state right on their website they only sell premium real walbro pumps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the recommendation! I was also reading up on a Brand called BBK. They seem to be pretty good, at least according to their advertising.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ran a walbro 340 in my Buick for about 12 years before upgrading to a walbro 450 about 4 years ago (the 340 still works). Both pumps were used with e85. I've used a Quantum 255 with 93 octane in my mustang for the last 2 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran a walbro 340 in my Buick for about 12 years before upgrading to a walbro 450 about 4 years ago (the 340 still works). Both pumps were used with e85. I've used a Quantum 255 with 93 octane in my mustang for the last 2 years.
The mechanic (a friend) who put the fuel pump in a couple of weeks ago, put a gage on the fuel line when starting and shutting down and the fuel pressure stays at around 40psi w/out dropping. He's thinking the fuel pump is okay. He tried to hook up one of those electrical 'scanners'(?) to the electrical port to look for other problems, but the port didn't work and the fuse wasn't blown to it, so, no go there. It could be a number of things, but he suspected that the auto fuel shut off switch might have a fault, causing the car to occasionally not to start. The car has had occasionally the problem of not starting since he put it in. The starter and battery are new. The plugs, wires, cap and rotor were replaced about 4 years ago. The car usually runs great. Has only 142K on it and have had few problems with the car since I bought it when it had only 96K on it about 6 yrs. ago. What do you think about the shut off switch, sounds logical. Have you heard of this being a likely problem? I know it is hard to say what the real problem may be. It could just be a stray short, but knowing how good this car has been, I'm thinking it may be something like this considering all the replaced parts and good condition of the car. It's a 5.0. Thank you for your help on this! Scott Sanders Kearney, NE

·
Registered
93 Posts
My experience with mustangs is more limited than my experience with older cars. Lots of possibilities here. Not sure about the rollover switch. Do you hear the pump turn on every time when you bump the starter (i.e. cycle the key without starting the car)? If your car is a '94 what condition is the wiring in? You mentioned a blown fuse. I've always hot-wired the fuel pumps with a 4 pin relay, new power wire, and new ground so there is always clean power to the pump. 26 year old wiring could have high resistance, mouse chewed on it, prior owner added splices all over, etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My experience with mustangs is more limited than my experience with older cars. Lots of possibilities here. Not sure about the rollover switch. Do you hear the pump turn on every time when you bump the starter (i.e. cycle the key without starting the car)? If your car is a '94 what condition is the wiring in? You mentioned a blown fuse. I've always hot-wired the fuel pumps with a 4 pin relay, new power wire, and new ground so there is always clean power to the pump. 26 year old wiring could have high resistance, mouse chewed on it, prior owner added splices all over, etc...
The car overall is in very good condition. It must've been garage kept for most of its life until I got it. It's been outside for the last 6 years. As you say lots of possibilities. I was hoping you might've had some personal knowledge about the problem and this car. Could be wiring. My buddy said that if it doesn't start again, as if its getting starved for gas, to bump the fuel cut off switch (located in trunk) to see it that gets it going, then would know it might be a fault in the switch. Well, will try that next. I dread the thought of putting it in a shop and have someone try to find it. Hey, thanks for your help and have a great rest of your day, or night, whichever is the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts