Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have 3" 3-bolt flanges on the BBK headers, then a 3" X-pipe, then 3"-to-2.5" sections to go into 2.5" mufflers and tail pipes. I don't remember where I got the 3"-to-2.5" cones, but it was probably Summit or Burns Stainless or something like that.

exactly what I need right now.

408 posted the link to the 2.5 to 3"

im currently searching for the 3" to 2.5 reducers as you use.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
make your own stuff, can't hardly buy it now

it's not terribly hard to do if you can weld

had to build my entire exhaust system except the tail pipes. Oh and headers, but they needed some work too, I just didn't build them.

Everyone likes flowmaster tails, and they work. Dont' forget Stinger. I use Stinger's tailpipes, almost identical to flowmaster (I use aluminized not SS) but a little less expensive. Two piece tail pipe per side makes it a little easier to install than some of the others. Fitting 3" in there is a chore! Gets very close to the UCA and frame, not a lot of room in there. Mine is a GT with the GT rear bumper cover, so I also had to cut the tips off and put turn downs on it. Expect trimming to fit, nothing is a true bolt-on.

3" is going to be loud. Mine is for sure. Louder than I like. May try different mufflers in the future, may also add a pair of cats. Gonna suck some power out but I do drive it, and often.

the 4 cylinder car? 3" full system from the turbo back, dynomax welded muffler. Not very loud at all, but audible. Barely hear the turbo whistle. Kinda nice. I put about 400 miles a week on it now. Gets a little noisy when the wastegate is open but not bad, the turbo eats up a lot of noise.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
exactly what I need right now.

408 posted the link to the 2.5 to 3"

im currently searching for the 3" to 2.5 reducers as you use.
A couple options I found:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I'm using RCI 1 3/4" mid-length headers. MAC prochamber 3" mid-pipe (cut & adapted to the RCI headers using v-clamps)

I used shallow-taper 3" to 2 1/2" reducer pipes before the mufflers. I cut the flow-tubes to allow for the added length of the taper pipe.

Seems as the exhaust cools, it's OK to reduce the diameter to keep the velocity up. I got the flow tubes on Ebay. 3" flow tubes ; and it looks like Flowmaster makes the 3" to 2 1/2" tapered pipes (as mentioned above also.)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'm using RCI 1 3/4" mid-length headers. MAC prochamber 3" mid-pipe (cut & adapted to the RCI headers using v-clamps)
Did you find an big offset in joining the headers to the MAC mid pipe? Any pictures?
Thinking about doing the same thing on a 351 in a fox. That is IF MAC will make me the mid pipe.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Did you find an big offset in joining the headers to the MAC mid pipe? Any pictures?
Thinking about doing the same thing on a 351 in a fox. That is IF MAC will make me the mid pipe.
Thanks in advance.
It wasn't that bad, I just had to be clever where I cut the pipes.

Before cutting flanges off (note the adjustable joint near the prochamber is why it was possible to adapt it):

Best pic from underside after tightening v-clamps. I also had to cut the collectors on the RCI headers, though collector and pipe are both 3", so it's not a big deal:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I finished a custom exhaust build recently. Granted, my engine doesn't take full advantage yet, but I have 1 3/4" MAC headers with V-bands and Flowmaster 200 cell cats into a 3" H-pipe I made, running into some 3" Flowmaster Pro series mufflers, dropping down to a 2.5" set of LMR tails. They clear the MM Panhard with some tweaking of the isolator hangers.

Reactions: Stangdawg
21 - 30 of 30 Posts