Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
A car which can outperform an M3 with the economy of a corolla....

Cars are expressions of the individual, so a gal might get a red VW Beetle and a guy will get a Mustang GT. By that principle not everyone will like the same car.
You might want to just test drive one though. I could probably find some of my twenty year old rants on the Corral about how an electric car can not possibly make any sense... I think I know more now than I did then. LOL. Maybe.
But yes, they're not for everyone. I want an electric S550.
I think that I will test drive on
A car which can outperform an M3 with the economy of a corolla....

Cars are expressions of the individual, so a gal might get a red VW Beetle and a guy will get a Mustang GT. By that principle not everyone will like the same car.
You might want to just test drive one though. I could probably find some of my twenty year old rants on the Corral about how an electric car can not possibly make any sense... I think I know more now than I did then. LOL. Maybe.
But yes, they're not for everyone. I want an electric S550.
I want to text drive one for sure now

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first forays into hot- rodding were R/C cars as a kid, I guess that's what made me interested in modifying cars. Never enough power. 30 years ago my friend and I would solder together 8-10 'C' batteries, which would make a $300 car go 30mph for about 7 minutes. Fast forward to the present, I bought two R/C cars for me and my kid, $67 per car that can go 30mph for 10-15 minutes on a battery pack that is roughly the size of 4 'AA' batteries. They accelerate so hard they will wheelie over onto the roof.

The technology and cost efficiency for electric cars/trucks isn't there yet, but it will be one day.

The good thing is, I can always cobble together a still and make alcohol fuel in my backyard for my 5.0

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I've heard more than once that GM'S volt was a throw away car as after about 3 years the repairs start and apparently it costs more than it's worth to fix. I myself don't have 40-50 grand to spend on a throw away car. They can get good mileage from cars they don't want to. A good friend of the family had a Cadillac coupe deville and everyone knows they are heavy it got 21 on the highway.
Do you remember also, that the Volt was about 40% more to make than the cost? They lost a ton of money on every one they made, it was a government mandated car, back when the bailout gave GM to the unions. Thank you Obama.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
150 Posts
The future of battery power and life as well as solar technology is limitless! 😝. We just need to tax 100% of Elon musk‘s wealth to get the ball rolling. Giving Solyndra a second chance could be a good idea too. 😖

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
150 Posts
The reason cars don’t get great mileage these days is because they’re making two times the power they did. If we wanted to drive 120 hp Mustangs the gas mileage would be pretty darn high with current technology. Plus modern cars are very heavy with all the niceties people want these days. It’s amazing what the American made V8 is doing with today’s technology compared to even just 25 years ago.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Ditto, the older small cars used to be 3000lbs or so, now many of those are around 4000lbs.

I recall a 1979 Firenza that had a 4cylinder engine. That thing was dangerous to drive in most traffic, getting on the interstate was scary. It had under 100hp and WOT didn't reach 55mph before merging. Today they could build a similar size and weight car, and have a similar engine making 150-200hp. Back then such a small car would get 30mpg on the highway and people were happy with that. Now it could be built and get 45mpg I'd bet, all with gasoline and no turbo.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts