Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a electric vehicle fan, at all. But there is no denying the performance of the Ford Mustang Cobra Jet 1,400. With a best so far of 8.27 ET at over 168 mph in the 1/4 mile. It is advertised with power numbers of over 1,100 lb/ft torque and over 1,500 HP. Here is a link from Ford Performance:
All-Electric Mustang Cobra Jet 1400 Prototype Exceeds Testing Target, Makes Public Debut at NHRA U.S. Nationals (ford.com)

Reading further about this car in Mustang Hub Magazine a interesting bit of information I found was that this car weighs 5,100 lbs! Imagine it this car could be trimmed down to 3,100 lbs...Not possible considering the weight of the batteries and electric motors coupled with the regular Cobra Jet drivetrain of 3 speed trans and 9" rear end.
Another fun tidbit I read was that there are no facilities at any track today that can recharge the batteries in a timely manner. So the team comes to the track equipped with a 22-kilowatt charger powered by a 30-kilowatt DIESEL generator. So much for the so called "Green Energy". This is one of the reasons I am not a fan of electric vehicles. The Big Lie is that they are Green, ignoring the inconvenient truth of where the power comes from.

Reactions: pkstang

·
Registered
642 Posts
They cheat! Lol. Joking aside. They do run great.

·
Registered
642 Posts
With technology they could be trimmed quite a bit. May not be possible now. But in the future it could be.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the calculations this

: Wallace Racing HP Calculator For 1/4 Mile

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 1,599.80 rear wheel HP and 1,777.55 flywheel HP.
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 1,698.61 rear wheel HP and 1,887.34 flywheel HP.

If true, Ford is grossly under-reporting the HP/Torque of the new Electric powerplant.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,051 Posts
i agree with you about this electric vehicle hype
frankly wish that the hydrogen fuel cells got more attention

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a lot of Politics in play. The old saying is true for the most part "It is not what you know, but who you know"...Sadly.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If the dragstrip was within a few miles of a coal fired power plant I bet they could charge it a little faster.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe they could lighten it by the use of carbon fiber which comes from....coal.

Neat vehicle for sure, I’d have to add some speakers playing a loop of 5.0 exhaust sounds though.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hood is already Carbon Fiber. I suppose you could do the doors and fenders and trunk lid in Carbon Fiber as well. But that would only save 2-300 lbs max. Still puts the car at over 4,700 lbs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
According to the calculations this

: Wallace Racing HP Calculator For 1/4 Mile

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 1,599.80 rear wheel HP and 1,777.55 flywheel HP.
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 1,698.61 rear wheel HP and 1,887.34 flywheel HP.

If true, Ford is grossly under-reporting the HP/Torque of the new Electric powerplant. They can get excellent mileage from gasoline engines, problem is they don't want to.
I doubt very seriously that they are getting that kind of power from a electric vehicle. The motor would have to be huge. Even if they are, travel distance would be worth less.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Once the new genIV nuclear reactors get up and rolling we'll pretty much have limitless electricity.

Also as technological deflation occurs (think TVs and smartphones) old gas powdered cars won't stand a chance.

My 9 second fox will be surrounded by 8 second capable sedans in daily traffic.
Sucks but we're basically there now.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Once the new genIV nuclear reactors get up and rolling we'll pretty much have limitless electricity.

Also as technological deflation occurs (think TVs and smartphones) old gas powdered cars won't stand a chance.

My 9 second fox will be surrounded by 8 second capable sedans in daily traffic.
Sucks but we're basically there now.
I don't think that they will be able to replace the diesel engines in over the road trucks.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I doubt very seriously that they are getting that kind of power from a electric vehicle. The motor would have to be huge. Even if they are, travel distance would be worth less.
Travel distance is meaningless for a Drag Car. This car will exhaust the battery charge after just two 1/4 mile passes. It was built with only one goal, to go fast.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
150 Posts
Must have been mineshaft weather conditions to go that fast. 😝

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The oil companies will never let the electric cars take over the market.
The Mustang is going to all Electric by 2029 according to Ford. As much as I hate the idea, Ford is going all electric, and soon.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Mustang is going to all Electric by 2029 according to Ford. As much as I hate the idea, Ford is going all electric, and soon.
There goes Fords truck sales. Electric power probably won't be able to hall a bunch of weight and only short distance. I don't think people are going to wait for the batteries to charge every few hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There goes Fords truck sales. Electric power probably won't be able to hall a bunch of weight and only short distance. I don't think people are going to wait for the batteries to charge every few hundred miles.
They already have a Hybrid F150 in the 2021 model year. I work at a Ford Dealership and have seen these abomination's.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts