Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
To find out size of MAF, measure inside diameter of discharge side of MAF. The MAF should have model or serial number etched in it somewhere.

Your ECU is from an automatic car (you didn't say if you had an auto or manual). If manual, you could have some issues if it was not converted right.

Given the dead spot and then all works, I would try replacing the TFI module and see what happens. Though some replacement ones are bad brand new out of the box. So be aware.

Yes the best way to make upgrades is to re-map the ECU. Saying that there are thousands out there that have done what is on your car and "fake out" the program. It is possible to have issues when that is done, but also thousands without issue as well. Personally, I am leaning toward the TFI. I have had one go bad as well and the car behaved erratically.

I am not a through parts at a problem person, but this feels right and I think it will help.

Let us know what happens.

Reactions: Notched up

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
To find out size of MAF, measure inside diameter of discharge side of MAF. The MAF should have model or serial number etched in it somewhere.

Your ECU is from an automatic car (you didn't say if you had an auto or manual). If manual, you could have some issues if it was not converted right.

Given the dead spot and then all works, I would try replacing the TFI module and see what happens. Though some replacement ones are bad brand new out of the box. So be aware.

Yes the best way to make upgrades is to re-map the ECU. Saying that there are thousands out there that have done what is on your car and "fake out" the program. It is possible to have issues when that is done, but also thousands without issue as well. Personally, I am leaning toward the TFI. I have had one go bad as well and the car behaved erratically.

I am not a through parts at a problem person, but this feels right and I think it will help.

Wow that helps tremendously, thank you so so much. Yes when I bought the car the man told me it was an automatic originally now with a T5 in it. So it is a manual transmission and I will purchase a TFI for the distributor, I will swap that part out and get back on and let you know. So if there is a manual transmission in the car now do I have to have the brain or ECU reprogrammed I’m learning about how these brains are just tweaked with all the time by people is it really that easy? It’s nothing I’m looking to get into doing but it is something I would like to learn about that’s why I bought the car it had problems and I want to fix them it’s a passion of mine to take something that’s not so good or broke and rebuild it and make it great again. It’s in my blood, my dad has passed away and my brother has just passed last Christmas so thank you very much everyone I appreciate your help in guidance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Also I’m going to pull off the mass air so I can measure it and see if I can see any etched in markings I seem to remember seeing some when I pulled it off when I first got the car to clean it up. The whole car was piece together so this is going to be fun this is a wonderful start thank you so much for the tip on the brain I just don’t know what to do with it if it is programmed for a manual. Do I have it reprogrammed? Purchase another one? I don’t know about messing with the brain.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts