Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I had this posted and was told that the e7s were better!! I put e6s on while my e7s were at the machine shop!! took it to the track with e6s and now with the e7s the car FEELS faster but is a half sec slower in the quarter mile but the 60 foot times are much improved at the 330 foot its dead even but after that i loose time with the e7s:confused: I DONT GET IT!!!! i have bbk shorties, h pipe, 2 chamber flos, ele fan ,bbk fender cool air, 5-speed 345 gears and here my numbers WHY ARE THAY SO BAD????? PLEASE HELP!!!! I GOININ THE WRONG DIRECTION

BEFORE NOW
e6se e7te
15.45 quarter mile 16.11
:mad: :confused: :mad:

·
15,473 Posts
Are you shifting at the same shift points? From what I understand you can shift higher w/ the E7's...

Where did you get the E7's from, how many miles, and did you have them checked out before installing them?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did change shift points that took me from 16.4 to the 16.1
the e 7s were from my car i put a friends completely re done e6s while mine were hot tanked and milled thought i had a bad headgasket but it was my ele fan i found out after i changed them and still had problems fixed the fan and all better so i wanted to put my heads back on as thay were working great it feels faster but the #s dont lie LOL THANKS

THANK YOU!! KEEP EM COMMING CUS SOMETHING IS WRONG!! 16.1 THATS BAD !!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Something is wrong with your car. If the E6SE heads were better, Ford would have stuck with them on the 5.0 HO motors from '87-'93. The E6 heads were only on the '86 5.0 HO (rated at 200 hp). The E7TE is the better head. Mustang owners, racers, magazine editors, etc. would talk, compare, race E6 heads if they were better.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nitrous Al said:
Something is wrong with your car. If the E6SE heads were better, Ford would have stuck with them on the 5.0 HO motors from '87-'93. The E6 heads were only on the '86 5.0 HO (rated at 200 hp). The E7TE is the better head. Mustang owners, racers, magazine editors, etc. would talk, compare, race E6 heads if they were better.

I KNOW !! THATS WHY IM ASKING FOR HELP ON WHATS WRONG ANY THOUGHTS???

·
Registered
541 Posts
Obviously there is something wrong with your E7 heads that you just put on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NOT True but maybe the E6 heads came on a linclon LSC and HO performance cars like cobra
weird thing is they have smaller valves and they have Flat top forged pistons if you want them to work correctly no valve cut outs.
and a E303 cam wakes them up. they can run hotter and great torque bacn and good HP with easy breathing manifold

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
NOT True but maybe the E6 heads came on a linclon LSC and HO performance cars like cobra
All 1988 Mark 7's got the E7 heads (it was phased in towards the end of 1987) and the Cobra got GT40 heads.

E6's were used on the standard output 5.0 passenger cars like crown vic, thunderbird, etc

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
guys... as tjm73 hinted at, this thread is over a DECADE old. im sure the O.P. has either fixed the problem or the car is sold.

the main points to gain from this thread is E5 heads had a closed chamber and were used on motors with a dish piston, E6 heads (AKA high swirl chamber) had a larger chamber and were used on motors with a smooth flat top piston (no dish, no valve reliefs), E7 heads were a closed chamber design similar to the E5's and were used on motors with a dish piston again.

all of that being said, if someone has an 86 shortblock that originally had E6 heads, they can get a decent little bump in compression by using E7 heads, but they will want to be sure to measure PTV, large cams will not clear without flycutting.

/thread

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I was cleaning out my garage and had two sets of 5.0L heads. E6SE & E7TE. I did a quick search to find out valve size and chamber specs. Nada. Most of the posts had to do with how crappy the EGSE heads are and that is just not true. There is nothing wrong with either the E6SE or E7TE heads. The E7s do make more horsepower on the top end. The E6s do run out of breath at around 4500-5000 rpm. What no one seems to realize is that maximum horsepower numbers are not the end all be all number. Did you ever look at a dyno run and see the graph of horsepower and torque? The area under the curve is the most important thing or aka average torque and horsepower. The E6s make more average torque and power through the lower part of the rev range. That is why the car was quicker. Now knowing that the E7s make more power up top, how do you take advantage of that? Keep the engine at the high rpm all the time down the strip. Better yet, get a 4500 rpm stall converter and let it do the work for you. If you have E6 heads, the 4500 stall will make it perform the worst. Best range for the E6s is 2200 to 4500 rpm. Keep the E6 engine in that range and let its' better average torque do the work. BTW, on my stock 86 5.0L with 2.73 gears back in 1995, I did a late night run at 100 mph for an entire tank of gas. That E6 headed engine got 29 mpg. Proof that there is a sweet spot for torque production vs wind resistance. No, I didn't have a tail wind. I recommend reading any engine article put out by Richard Holdner. His knowledge and dyno experience are some of the best education you can get.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So, I was cleaning out my garage and had two sets of 5.0L heads. E6SE & E7TE. I did a quick search to find out valve size and chamber specs. Nada. Most of the posts had to do with how crappy the EGSE heads are and that is just not true. There is nothing wrong with either the E6SE or E7TE heads. The E7s do make more horsepower on the top end. The E6s do run out of breath at around 4500-5000 rpm. What no one seems to realize is that maximum horsepower numbers are not the end all be all number. Did you ever look at a dyno run and see the graph of horsepower and torque? The area under the curve is the most important thing or aka average torque and horsepower. The E6s make more average torque and power through the lower part of the rev range. That is why the car was quicker. Now knowing that the E7s make more power up top, how do you take advantage of that? Keep the engine at the high rpm all the time down the strip. Better yet, get a 4500 rpm stall converter and let it do the work for you. If you have E6 heads, the 4500 stall will make it perform the worst. Best range for the E6s is 2200 to 4500 rpm. Keep the E6 engine in that range and let its' better average torque do the work. BTW, on my stock 86 5.0L with 2.73 gears back in 1995, I did a late night run at 100 mph for an entire tank of gas. That E6 headed engine got 29 mpg. Proof that there is a sweet spot for torque production vs wind resistance. No, I didn't have a tail wind. I recommend reading any engine article put out by Richard Holdner. His knowledge and dyno experience are some of the best education you can get.
You're about 17 years late to the party my dude.
E6s and E7s are junk nowadays compared to the advancements in aluminum cylinder head castings.
I don't think anyone on this forum except die hard Ford purists are purposely using Iron heads for their builds.
Richard Holdner does make a lot of cool videos though.

·
Old timer
5,902 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're about 17 years late to the party my dude.
E6s and E7s are junk nowadays compared to the advancements in aluminum cylinder head castings.
I don't think anyone on this forum except die hard Ford purists are purposely using Iron heads for their builds.
Richard Holdner does make a lot of cool videos though.
Not late to the party dude. I had an awesome 5.0 L with AFR 185cc heads on it long time ago. You are correct, there are so many fantastic alum heads out there for 5.0L these day. I remember when the GT-40 was the best around. Then came Trickflow, AFR, and now there are a host of others. Ever heard of of hot-rodding on a budget. You make the best of what you got with whatever you can afford. That info was for those guys/girls. Try reading Richard Holdner's articles. Tons of info on all things Ford. More info in the articles than the videos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW, sluggish88 has a point. Don't bother porting and polishing either of the stock heads. Good aluminum performance heads are easy to find on your favorite internet "for sale" site.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not late to the party dude. I had an awesome 5.0 L with AFR 185cc heads on it long time ago. You are correct, there are so many fantastic alum heads out there for 5.0L these day. I remember when the GT-40 was the best around. Then came Trickflow, AFR, and now there are a host of others. Ever heard of of hot-rodding on a budget. You make the best of what you got with whatever you can afford. That info was for those guys/girls. Try reading Richard Holdner's articles. Tons of info on all things Ford. More info in the articles than the videos.
I've heard of it.
I only run iron heads.
My comment was in regards to your response to a 17 year old thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts