Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Yes the stand alone controller is a considerable expense. They've turned up here for $400 or so used, some years. I learned recently the wiring harness is separate, and the converters start at $500 or more.

The shift points of the AOD are mainly controlled by the governor in the back, the small counterweight inside it. The HD TransGo kit comes with a lighter replacement of that, aimed at 4900rpm or near there. I drilled mine out to lighten it, on the 2nd guess I got the 1st gear to shift at 5600rpm. But the real problem is that inherently, the 2nd gear is made to shift earlier than 1st. I've read of a builder, "Dan" is his first name, who does something which moves the 2/3 gear shift up by itself. I'd find that information to help the shifting. He does VB's a lot besides the transmissions. You might have to buy one of those to fix the 2/3 gear shift, I don't know any more details about that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes the stand alone controller is a considerable expense. They've turned up here for $400 or so used, some years. I learned recently the wiring harness is separate, and the converters start at $500 or more.

The shift points of the AOD are mainly controlled by the governor in the back, the small counterweight inside it. The HD TransGo kit comes with a lighter replacement of that, aimed at 4900rpm or near there. I drilled mine out to lighten it, on the 2nd guess I got the 1st gear to shift at 5600rpm. But the real problem is that inherently, the 2nd gear is made to shift earlier than 1st. I've read of a builder, "Dan" is his first name, who does something which moves the 2/3 gear shift up by itself. I'd find that information to help the shifting. He does VB's a lot besides the transmissions. You might have to buy one of those to fix the 2/3 gear shift, I don't know any more details about that.
Interesting, maybe they've updated the kit since then. The springs i have are rated to 6800rpm, that we will be modifing to get a couple hundred more out of. I aslo should mention that I'm going to be manually shifting it. Using the old 1-D-1 shuffle.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I think you will want to look into a special VB to make the shifts match. I hadn't read into the TransGo HD kit in a long time, I have an extra one, but the last AOD work I did was three years ago, just the SK kit. I have a 91 Lincoln that the shifts are very early in normal driving. Now I think it might be the governor, clogged or something like a spring weak or damaged there. I'll have to pull the drive shaft and rear housing to look into it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think you will want to look into a special VB to make the shifts match. I hadn't read into the TransGo HD kit in a long time, I have an extra one, but the last AOD work I did was three years ago, just the SK kit. I have a 91 Lincoln that the shifts are very early in normal driving. Now I think it might be the governor, clogged or something like a spring weak or damaged there. I'll have to pull the drive shaft and rear housing to look into it.
Have you ever used the HP kit?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Yes, I described it above, I had it in my first 91 LSC. I loved it for all around driveability. The HD kit is much more responsive at part throttle, than any other VB kit, and a little better than the electronic AODE/4R programming. Merging onto a highway with the HD kit, the trans down shifted effortlessly without any excess power(it was relatively smooth instead of "hitting the gas a little extra to make it down shift." I don't mean to say it was perfect, of course not, but it was very good at going into the wanted gear, without thinking hard about wanting it to shift sooner. The only downside was the same for all AOD's, that 2/3 shift point. If you can work that out, then the AOD can be very good.

That HD kit involved drilling into the VB in two place, to add/locate a tiny metal pipe which reroutes fluid around circuits. I did that in 1997, and a couple of years later rebuilt the engine and trans. That's the one I have unused with the AODE OD band etc, and one piece input shaft. I got those(C6 torque converter) from Art Carr, he was the Ford guy back in the 90's for automatics. I will be removing the AODE sun gear shell from that AOD this Spring, to build a 4R70W with the close ratios instead of the wide ratio gearing. Those AODE sun gear shells are obsolete now, and an aftermarket version I could not find either last year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What are your exact cam specs and installed centerline and comp ratio. And valve lash.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts