Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Digital multimedia video receivers make it easier for relocation of the HVAC knobs to the bottom of the console and move the radio up higher where it will be easier to see and operate.

Since they don't play CD's, the chassis is often smaller and can clear dash structure.

Most play FLAC files. CD's can be ripped to FLAC (lossless) and transferred to a USB stick, so you can have easy access to all of you old CD's without fumbling around with discs.

As pointed out below, the Sony units will fit with minimal modification to the dash structure.

Another option could be the Pioneer with tethered display, where you'd have to fabricate a mounting bracket for the display.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
There's a guy on Facebook that sells a double din faceplate that looks really good. He also has a instalation video that mentions cutting that metal brace to allow more radio clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I've seen that video and it's pretty good, but for later foxes.

The problem I have in my 1989 is my dash has a 1" or so steel bar behind the HVAC. I believe it's part of the upper glove box support frame, but can't find any pictures of it online. I was surprised when I first saw it and should have taken a picture. I definitely will next spring when I start my audio upgrade project.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Sony Double Dins have a single wide backpanel like that alpine buts its at the top....this allows it to install in the AC/heater control spot without cutting anything out of the dash.

Reactions: TomV

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! I've seen those but thought there were obstacles directly behind the HVAC.

In a couple months when the car comes out of storage, I'll try to get a picture of the metal brace behind mine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes the metal brace is below the radio back half. The only modding to the dash was a very small file area in the plastic to allow the top right corner of the radio move up and to the right.
I'm in the process of fabbing up a cover plate from some clear plastic sheet. It's in the pic....After its fitted I will paint it flat black.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i first posted this I was going off memory. Thanks for clearing this up and sharing. You’re doing a great job!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I really want an HD Radio tuner built in and the Sony doesn’t offer it.

The Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX has tethered display and would probably work as well. It could also be to mounted on top the dash above the vents, with an extension cable and floating mount kit. It would look like newer vehicles with displays sticking out the dash, but probably hard to reach.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I really want an HD Radio tuner built in and the Sony doesn’t offer it.

The Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX
$900 is a bit much for a car radio IMHO, I got a Sony 5000 for $310

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah, the Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX has a large 9" display that might fill out the console nicely. Plus there is a floating mount kit for it that could make for a unique installation.

I found a cheaper model DMH-C2550NEX for $445 and edited that post above. I also fixed the initial post with the Alpine to Sony, as not to mislead anyone. Thanks again for pointing out the unit needs to have the control box orientated at the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts