Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will be in a market for a car soon, and want something that will take a double din headunit.
Anyhow while browsing I have noticed some years have the double din and some appear to have two single din slots.
whats involved as far as swapping out the bezels? Is it as simple as getting a bezel from one car? I far prefer the look of the double din bezel in say an 03 cobra than I do the single din in say a 98 cobra.

I have done a ton of google searching without much luck

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have seen it done and it looked good. Try searching on here and also on modular fords. I seen it here or over there can't remeber for sure.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seen that thread as well as others but I am looking for something a little more sophisticated than a block of wood and a proper fitting shifter bezel.
Is it the whole dash that needs to be rplaced to get it to fit like a 01-04 or is it just a bracket behind the radio that can be changed?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not real easy, if you are patient it can be done.

The dash itself is different so you have construct a bracket that supports the radio and is able to retain the two lower clips on the double din bezel like this.

The opening on the Double Din bezel is much larger than a typical 4"x7" aftermarket radio so you have to do something there I grafted a universal radio mounting plate using Perma poxy Plastic weld and alot of sanding also filled the unused button holes with the scrap from the mounting plate.

Also need to paint the bezel to match the factory black I am still looking for the right "black" but here is the semi finished product.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That came out very nice, thanks for the pics..
Is it safe to say the radio will be centered in the original opening? I was worried about alignment between the bezel and the older opening, but it appears in your pics that the gaps on each side and the top appear to be about the same

Also what does the radio bolt to in your setup? I am used to single din radios where the cage has little flip out tabs and the radio pops into the cage, I have never messed with a double din radio before.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks, I made the placement work out centered like that. I did all the bezel mods first then laid it on its face and put the radio face down in the bezel hole and made the aluminum bracket from there outside the car.

The radio is supported in the back to where it lays in there and on the newer double din radios they don't seem to do the cage with tabs any more there are various screw holes on the sides of the radio chassis. I put smaller angle brackets on the radio and they screw to the big bracket near the front.

Once you tear tear into it, it is easy to see what has to be done.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, thanks again for the pics.. doesnt seem like to big of a deal

·
Registered
511 Posts
I made mine much more easier IMO. What I did was buy a metal plate that had several holes pre-drilled and used the metal cross bar that goes through the dash just above where the Double Din Stereo mounts. It is very stable and all I did was used the pre-drilled template and drilled a couple small holes through the metal bar and mounted the steel plate AND the stereo brace. I had to keep the plate mounted as it lowers the stereo bracket just right to keep the stereo centered. I also had to use a dremel to cut off the tabs at the very bottom of the console to clear the Double Din Bezel.

Pics:
This is without the stuff installed, but you can easily see the metal bar cutting across

In my Cobra startup video, you can see it fully installed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szsZRbf4kCU

·
Registered
631 Posts
You can get the bezel and shifter bezel from an 01+ that is already set for a double din and then make some minor modification to the plastic behind it and it will fit right in...

No need for the wood nor the fiberglass and painting... Way too much work for something so simple... Enjoy!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bumping thread back up top... I am really wanting to go the double din route.. just to confirm the 01+ center bezzels will fit into the 94/95 cars? That would make life pretty dang easy because then the double din will install right up (no wood etc)..

·
Registered
228 Posts
The older pre-2001dash is different and has to be cut and modified but as you can see it can be done with varying degrees of success

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ok I am a little confused.. I purchased a 2002 center bezel... Ive seen tons of threads on this subject where they literately just bolt it up (minus the two bolts on the 1995 bezel which are not on the 2002 style, and they have to trim a little of the back of the dash)...Did you utilize the 1.5 din from a pre 01 and that is why you did those modifications?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry I don't follow 1.5 din? (thats a chrysler/gm size) No I used the same bezel you should have. When you take out the two single din units and the bezel there will be a bar running across that must be cut out for the new radio and 2002+ bezel to fit. You cut that out and put in the bezel but there will be nothing there to hold a 2din radio up unless you make something to support it.

The aftermarket Pioneer radio I used is a 2din radio but it is smaller than the hole and factory mach460 2din radio and looks non-oem when just laid in there with the plastic trim around it to fill the gaps so I flushed it in and built a support bracket.

I started with one like this
00 01 02 03 04 Mustang GT LX Radio Bezel Vents | eBay

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm trying to swap a bezel from a 01-04 into my 99 GT. I know that the tabs will need to be trimmed from the dash, but I'm not sure on the other aspects.

I won't be putting a full head unit in like a touch screen. Can I just trim the tabs and then use a install kit like this?

Metra Part # 99-5026 | Ford Mustang Dash kit | Metra Online

And an aftermarket harness to adapt to a new head unit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not real easy, if you are patient it can be done.

The dash itself is different so you have construct a bracket that supports the radio and is able to retain the two lower clips on the double din bezel like this.

The opening on the Double Din bezel is much larger than a typical 4"x7" aftermarket radio so you have to do something there I grafted a universal radio mounting plate using Perma poxy Plastic weld and alot of sanding also filled the unused button holes with the scrap from the mounting plate.

Also need to paint the bezel to match the factory black I am still looking for the right "black" but here is the semi finished product.

my boyfriend has a 95 mustang and he is trying so hard to find a double din for it and yours look like just what he needs can you please tell me how to get one for he wont make one

·
Registered
31 Posts
Double din bezel, shifter trim and installed center console.
From your profile pic, I'm assuming you installed this in a convertible. I've got a 92 convertible and cannot read the display on my single din on sunny days. Can you please let me know if there is any glare or 'unreadable" issues when you get the top down?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts