Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo, I ordered and received a custom 9" housing and 31 spline axles for my fox body... Happy with it, seems to be well built ( its just a grocery getter)...
It came with ball bearing axle bearings and I was toying with removing them and putting tapered bearings in it... I started measuring with my calipers ( before ordering the Set 20 tapered bearings) and it seems as if my axles are smaller ( about 25 thousandths) than the ID measurement I see in the catalog for the tapered bearing.( the OD is the same.).

I looked up some ball bearings and sure as heck the id matches up with what my axles are...
Do I have this right??????? I have to buy NEW axles to install tapered bearings???

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you have early style ends, you can't run late model bearings. Nothing wrong with the early style ends, just use the bearings you got.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Who's axles? My strange 35 spline can use either tapered or sealed ball bearing. I prefer tapered on 90% of applications, they will handle side load much better than a ball bearing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you have early style ends, you can't run late model bearings. Nothing wrong with the early style ends, just use the bearings you got.
No I don't, ordered with late model Torino big bearing ends. Its the axle dimension that seems to be different, not the outside dimension of the bearing..

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Who's axles? My strange 35 spline can use either tapered or sealed ball bearing. I prefer tapered on 90% of applications, they will handle side load much better than a ball bearing.
The housing/axle kit is from Speedway...
I am assuming your 35 spline take a different bearing? but I don't know...
again, I was going to change these out to tapered...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I would hope your 9" axle would use an actual 9" outter bearing, either new, or old style, and not some oddball bearing, but I've seen some pretty hit and miss stuff from speedway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would hope your 9" axle would use an actual 9" outter bearing, either new, or old style, and not some oddball bearing, but I've seen some pretty hit and miss stuff from speedway.
thanks for the warning... I am calling them in the Morning...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Step back a minute, have you pulled the current bearings off of the axles yet? You need to measure where they are sitting on the axle.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Step back a minute, have you pulled the current bearings off of the axles yet? You need to measure where they are sitting on the axle.
No, I have not pulled off the bearings so the area I measured is on the back side of the "retaining" collar... I have wondered if the dimension where the bearing actually sits is different also? .. It is a machined area that I did measure....
I am not sure where I got the info online that the ball bearing has a different diameter as Speedway shows both bearings with the same dimensions.....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just received an email from Currie Enterprises saying the axles ARE different for the different bearings..... I am on hold with Speedway tech line as I type this.....
IF this is true, what Ford engineering genius came up with this???????

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
9 inch ford rear ends tapered and ball bearing axle bearings are different...
The axle BALL bearing has an inside diameter of 1.528
The axle TAPERED bearing ( which is NOT sealed and is lubed by the rear end fluid ) has an inside diameter of 1.563..
To use the tapered bearings I have to get NEW axles....... This is a brand new 9 inch rear end NOT installed yet, so we are not talking used axles......
Who would have ever thought that Ford designed this cluster FK..... TWO different sized axles ( diameter, where the bearing rides) in the same rear end????......

The best thing here is somebody can learn from my mistake.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looks like somebody messed up if you have early axles with late model ends.

The bearings have nothing to do with Ford. Ball bearings are standard bearings based off standard dimensions (not literally inches, but standard as in standards). Same goes for tapered bearings like the SET20 (although to an extent, this is custom by Ford due to the seal arrangement). So you have different dimensions based on that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like somebody messed up if you have early axles with late model ends.

The bearings have nothing to do with Ford. Ball bearings are standard bearings based off standard dimensions (not literally inches, but standard as in standards). Same goes for tapered bearings like the SET20 (although to an extent, this is custom by Ford due to the seal arrangement). So you have different dimensions based on that.
Ok, but the Axles are different dimensions by about 20 thousandths.
You seem to keep coming back to the axle ends but these bearing have the same outside diameter, its the inside diameter ( part that is pressed on to the axle) that is different... , If anyone on here orders a custom housing make sure you order which axle bearings you want as each bearing takes a DIFFERENT axle....

I have read multiple stories on line about people who had leak problems with the tapered bearing who switched to ball bearings???? I "thought" I had done alot of research when ordered this housing/axle package but this one sucker punched me..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts