Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bottom end is getting rebuilt (again) and I’m going to be upgrading heads to AFR 165’s. I have a Tmoss ported explorer intake and 65mm TB. Current cam is a xe264 but may go with a custom Ed cam if I can sell off a few parts.....if not now, will do a custom cam next year, but I need heads now as I sold my old ones.
Figuring on a conservative 300whp, my stock 19lb injectors will be a bit light. What is a good, OEM quality, reliable upgrade that won’t cost a fortune? It will be tuned for whatever I get.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Deka 80. Wouldn’t consider anything else.

·
Registered
23,947 Posts
X2

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, those would be ideal, but overkill for my modest hp, especially of I can spend a fraction of that. I guess I’m looking for the “Explorer Intake” of fuel injectors lol.
Man, this hobby is expensive.

·
Registered
23,947 Posts
dont play the injector game, like i did, wasted money

go directly to what works, and you wont need to replace with future HP goals

you will save money

Reactions: Stangdawg

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Will keep it under consideration.

·
Registered
234 Posts
dont play the injector game, like i did, wasted money

go directly to what works, and you wont need to replace with future HP goals

you will save money
Agreed, i have like 3 extra sets of injectors lying around! Definitely didn't save any money buying multiple times!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I would normally agree with the injector sizing, but given this combo is limited to fitting under a Miata hood, it doesn’t sound like shooting for the moon is the end goal.

I ran Accell 30lb injectors on my 347 before I upgraded.

·
Registered
23,947 Posts
low mount turbos is in the works

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yes, those would be ideal, but overkill for my modest hp, especially of I can spend a fraction of that. I guess I’m looking for the “Explorer Intake” of fuel injectors lol.
Man, this hobby is expensive.
I kinda figured you were talking about buying new injectors. A good set of injectors, whether it be 24, 30, 36, 80 lb’ers are pretty much all going to set you back over $300. Might as well buy the one that’ll split stock blocks before being outgrown.

If you’re looking at used ones, just find anything 30lbs or more and buy them. It’s always kind of a crap shoot buying used ones though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You may laugh, but my coworker stuffed a turbo LS1 under the hood of a Miata with just a "wee bit" of custom work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, all the cool kids are doing turbo’d LS’s in Miata’s, but an old iron block 5.0 is perfectly fine for this old geezer. Besides, Fords just sound so much better.
I’m a musician, it has got to sound good.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a set of the red top Motorcraft 30# injectors that were in a motor for a minute before upgrading to larger ones (347" stroker), indistinguishable from brand new. Make a reasonable offer, I'll send them your way.

Jay

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I agree on the dekas. You can run such a small pulse width with them and it won't negatively affect part throttle fueling on lower hp setups like you get with most larger injectors. I run the 60s and have a bunch of room to grow.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ya, all the cool kids are doing turbo’d LS’s in Miata’s, but an old iron block 5.0 is perfectly fine for this old geezer. Besides, Fords just sound so much better.
I’m a musician, it has got to sound good.
Sorry, didn't mean to say the LS is the way to go.
My comment was more about the turbo.
If you're creative, you can squeeze a turbo 5.0 under the hood and utilize 'more' of the 80lb dekas. ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, I didn’t take it as that- I knew what you were saying.......it’s Indy’s fault for bringing up turbo’s. lol

·
Registered
23,947 Posts
i'm one of few reasons NOT to be a member at the corral!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts