Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS anyone interested in bolting a Procharger to their big block Ford? I have thought about it since I have a 5.0 D-1 kit and a 460, but upon talking to Procharger they dont make the kit nor will they do something custom. I am looking into getting a bracket made of billet aluminum and all it needs is that small middle bracket so that you can mount a D-1 to your 460. Imagine a blowthrough 460-514!! That would be crazy so let me know if anyone is interested. Scot Rod

·
Registered
20 Posts
Procharger EFI

Has anybody made a successful D-1 EFI combination yet. I am wanting to pilot a fox into the low 9s with well behaved street manners.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been watching ebay for a cheap supercharger (vortech, Procharger) to play with, making brackets wouldn't be that hard. Getting a crank pulley made would be the expensive part.

If the small block guys can go from 14s to 12s or 13s to 11s, why couldn't a low 12s big block go into the mid 10s pretty easy.

If you made a box for the carb like Paxtons carbed SBC and SBF kits, would anything else special have to be done besides a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and timing retard?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I want to run a procharger or a vortech as well , can this really be done with a carb? I'm into it !! is there room for it in a fox with a big block? I would love to have some boost on my 460 capri. :evil:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You just need a carb hat, and as for EFI, just get a spyder EFI intake for a 460. You can use the stock EFI lines from your fox, then get the SPyder EFI intake which comes with injectors, rails and lines to install onto your stock lines. Run a big EFI fuel pump and your done. The D-1 kit will work with either EFI or carb since the carb hat I have can face anyway, I can get it to face the same direction as a throttle body, towards the pass. fender. Then the intercooler tubing comes through the hole in the pass fender, bends and meets with the throttle body. I am selling my D-1 to pay for my other project. It comes with both intercooled and non intercooled plumbing, 2 pulleys, MSD BTM, 3-core sheetmetal intercooler, and all the brackets and everything. Its a complete kit and I can even throw in the carb hat for blowthrough supercharging. This kit only has 500 miles on it and is perfect. As for the crank pulley, have you ever put a 302 crank pulley on a 460 balancer? They are interchangable!! As for pulley alignment, it just comes down to shimming everything till its all even. This is easy stuff people. Let me know if you have any other questions. All it would take is a D-1 kit with a custom block between the brackets and the head. And for EFI, get the Spyder 460 intake. Its just a 460 Vic Jr intake with bosses, installed rails and an elbow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you dont believe me about the crank pulley, then I can take a picture of the thing installed on a 460 balancer. Then just space out your pump pulley with washers or something to get it to align if it doesnt already do so. If that isnt possible, then get an electric water pump. Same goes for the alternator. And for the blower, the way the brackets work is that there is the main big bracket that mounts to the blower, then there is a small 3 hole block that acts as a spacer and support for the 3 bolts that go into the head. All you need is a different block that takes the 3 SBF bolt hole pattern and transfers it to the BBF 3 bolt pattern. The best part is that the 2 holes on the left with the SBF line up with the 2 holes on the left of the BBF head. So all you need is for the 3rd SBF head bolt to bolt into your new block and then have that block be longer to reach the BBF 3rd bolt hole and bolt it in. Thats all you need to convert a D-1 blower and bracket to bolt to a 460. Then just make sure your new block is the right width to get the blower pulley to align with the crank pulley. I'm not sure how this could get any easier. As for power, I was only running 12 lbs and I was making 625 at the fly at only 4900 before hitting fuel cut and that was only with a 342. Imagine with a big block since the D-1 can make up to 32 lbs and 950 horses.

·
Registered
271 Posts
On mine, I think there would be room on the passenger side (I have a low mounted alternator since the engine originally had AC up high on the passenger side). I've been thinking about trying it for a while and doing some reading on turbos and centrifical blowers. I've seen carb'd turbo setups and the new paxton setup is supposed to be the trick for SBCs. I thought there was some kind of problems associated with just running a bonnet (boost leaking out around throttle shafts etc) and running a box sealed completely around the outside of the carb resolved them?

If I wind up finding one cheap enough to play with (hate to spend much $ on experiments) I'm going to take a stab at it. I've done all I can do with what I have without increasing displacement or compression and shelling out some bucks for better heads. It'd be the cheapest way (other than N2O, which I'm not crazy about) to go faster.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've heard of others using 302 pulleys on big blocks, seems like you have to drill something out to a bigger size? Without a serpentine belt, would it be easier to adapt a cog pulley to bolt up to the pulley bolts inside the BBF crank pulley with a small idler by the blower for tension?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No drilling needed. I took the SBF blower pulley and it slid right on the 460 balancer and the bolts went right in. As for the bonnet setup, they dont leak. I was pushing 12 lbs with no problems. You can have the shafts sealed and have the carb done if you want and it would still be cheaper then getting a $600 enclosure. If you dont believe me about the bonnets then go to turbomustangs.com. There are many guys running 9's with a bonnet or guys running 25+ lbs. Bonnets are great and they have been in use for over 50 years way back to the blowthrough T-birds in the 50s.

·
Registered
332 Posts
smock I think that would be a cool setup, I might be interested in help produce this on a larger scale gtg right now but will post later

matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
IS anyone interested in bolting a Procharger to their big block Ford? I have thought about it since I have a 5.0 D-1 kit and a 460, but upon talking to Procharger they dont make the kit nor will they do something custom. I am looking into getting a bracket made of billet aluminum and all it needs is that small middle bracket so that you can mount a D-1 to your 460. Imagine a blowthrough 460-514!! That would be crazy so let me know if anyone is interested. Scot Rod
yes i am interested

·
Registered
3 Posts
You just need a carb hat, and as for EFI, just get a spyder EFI intake for a 460. You can use the stock EFI lines from your fox, then get the SPyder EFI intake which comes with injectors, rails and lines to install onto your stock lines. Run a big EFI fuel pump and your done. The D-1 kit will work with either EFI or carb since the carb hat I have can face anyway, I can get it to face the same direction as a throttle body, towards the pass. fender. Then the intercooler tubing comes through the hole in the pass fender, bends and meets with the throttle body. I am selling my D-1 to pay for my other project. It comes with both intercooled and non intercooled plumbing, 2 pulleys, MSD BTM, 3-core sheetmetal intercooler, and all the brackets and everything. Its a complete kit and I can even throw in the carb hat for blowthrough supercharging. This kit only has 500 miles on it and is perfect. As for the crank pulley, have you ever put a 302 crank pulley on a 460 balancer? They are interchangable!! As for pulley alignment, it just comes down to shimming everything till its all even. This is easy stuff people. Let me know if you have any other questions. All it would take is a D-1 kit with a custom block between the brackets and the head. And for EFI, get the Spyder 460 intake. Its just a 460 Vic Jr intake with bosses, installed rails and an elbow.
what bracket do you use on 460 to mount procharger thx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts