Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a fast car, but I also need a truck. I currently have my h/c/i mustang and a Nissan Titan. I figured if I sell both, I should just get a fast truck!

Here is the dilema...I wanted to spend roughly about 10,000 cash for a lightning. but most of them in my price range are high mileage lightnings. If I were to buy a high mileage lightning, what is the average cost to completely rebuild a 5.4 lightning motor?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I want a fast car, but I also need a truck. I currently have my h/c/i mustang and a Nissan Titan. I figured if I sell both, I should just get a fast truck!

Here is the dilema...I wanted to spend roughly about 10,000 cash for a lightning. but most of them in my price range are high mileage lightnings. If I were to buy a high mileage lightning, what is the average cost to completely rebuild a 5.4 lightning motor?
A buddy is selling a Lightning. Here is the post from facebook. If you are interested I'll put him in contact with you.

It has 70k miles. Very few tasteful engine mods. Full stainless bassani exhaust, headers to tailpipes, 4lb lower, CAI, electric fan. It has a nice little stereo with Kicker subs, mids and tweeters in the kickpanel enclosures. The truck Is silver with a Cervini cowl hood, gaylords speedsturr bed cover, bed rug, speed grilles. Truck has been lowered right with the Roush kit. Bilstein front shocks, and edelbrock IAS rear shocks. It also has air bags in the back for light towing. I'll have some pics shortly!!
Price: 14k

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
bought my totally stock 01 with 72000 miles for 11000. there out there just have to look.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you can find them out there for 10,000. my lightning has 150,000 miles and a gt500 (m122) supercharger on it, puts down 427/482 (something like that lol) on otherwise stock truck, and runs great (I added some timing today, tweaked the tune some, sure that it added some power, smoked a SS camaro today at least!)

if the truck is STOCK and high mileage, have the person take you for a ride, tell them to drive the heck out of it...if they do, and take it to 130, then you can probably trust it lol thats what I had the guy do in mine, to prove he wasnt scared of it breaking....its still kicking and I drive it daily

oh...and motors can get as expensive as you want them too! you can get a factory replacement longblock anywhere from 3500-10,000, plus labor on install unless you can handle it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It really all depends on who you buy the built engine from.
There is
JDM $12000. to 20K Complete
MMR ????
JLP $10k ti 14K
Paul Albino 9K to 14K

I think you might want to start with a short block and go from there. You my be able to get away with stock heads for a short while.
10K for a low mileage Lightning is short on money. I have not seen many stock trucks, Most are moded to some degree.
Best of luck

Blessings
Rusty.YB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts