Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a late model convertible for my wife. She really wants the lane assist, back up camera, and all the rest of the nanny stuff. My question is which models, years and/or option packages have those features and can they be defeated if I drive the car? I don't like them at all.
Thanks

·
Registered
23,726 Posts
go to your local ford dealer, or look at ford site, and build your own mustang

·
Registered
55 Posts
The one thing I truly detest on new cars is the stop start engine feature at the stoplights... The future looks bleak the couple of times I have rented cars with this

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
The one thing I truly detest on new cars is the stop start engine feature at the stoplights... The future looks bleak the couple of times I have rented cars with this
That can be disabled through Forscan (on Fords). It's an enhanced OBD2 interface that allows you to access various modules in the vehicle and make changes in the as_built data.

Looking for a late model convertible for my wife. She really wants the lane assist, back up camera, and all the rest of the nanny stuff. My question is which models, years and/or option packages have those features and can they be defeated if I drive the car? I don't like them at all.
Thanks
While rear-view cameras came around 2010/2011, most of the other nanny aides really started to come into existence in 2015. I've lost track of all the things these new cars can do. Go to the dealer and have a blast. Most can be shut off, either through the menus, or permanently disabled using software like the aforementioned Forscan.

·
Registered
23,726 Posts
heres one for the rear view camera

DONT LOOK AT THE SCREEN

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
My wife's Odyssey van has a backup camera. I hate the thing. She uses it and when I see her back in the garage I know she's using it. I much prefer to just turn around and look and also use the mirrors. The only time it's good is parallel parking. I can see how close I am to the car behind me. I like it for that.

Lane assist is really attention assist. If you are paying attention, you don't leave your lane unless you want to. Blind spot monitoring is really protect from being to lazy to turn your head and check the blind spot before changing lanes. 90% of "nannytech" is to compensate for crap driving discipline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I personally do not like, and will not use, most of the nanny features, BOTOH, I do realize there are people that can benefit. My wife wants, and in her opinion needs, some assistance as she gets up there in years and
I can't say I disagree.

I ride motorcycles, do track days still at 69 years of age, and wouldn't think of riding w/out a helmet. I live in a state that
doesn't require them, however, and I will fully support those who do not choose to wear them. I don't think it's a wise choice, but it is theirs. Will there come a time when all this "assistance" on cars is mandatory and not defeatable?
Probably, but not today!

I did do some more research for anyone in the same boat as me, wondering what years and models have these features.
Here's what I found, correct me if I'm wrong, please. (Found a site that had the original factory brochures as PDFs)

From '15-'17, only the EcoBoost Premium and GT Premium models offered the nanny package. It was included on the 201a package for the EcoBoost and 401a for the GT. Nothing for the V6.

Starting in '18, it seems it is only part of the "Safe and Smart" package. I couldn't figure out if you could order it on any
model in the lineup, however.

I don't have the funds for new, so I am looking at used vehicles only. As much as I would like to go to a dealer and
"build my own", I can't afford it. AND the wife only wants blue, so that narrows the field quite a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts