Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really interested in doing this for my 1996 bronco. The subject is foreign to me so can someone school me on what I night need? I've seen other threads where people are running things like a Holley EFI system. I have the only year bronco that has OBD2 for what it's worth.

Holley lists this on their site, but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative that may use LS coils?

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
why do you need to do this conversion?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I don't think he said he needs to do it; he said he's interested. Much like I am.

I'm really interested in doing this for my 1996 bronco. The subject is foreign to me so can someone school me on what I night need? I've seen other threads where people are running things like a Holley EFI system. I have the only year bronco that has OBD2 for what it's worth.

Holley lists this on their site, but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative that may use LS coils?

One option is to use Ford's EDIS system, which is distributor-less, but isn't coil-near-plug (CNP). If you google for "EDIS 351" you can find all sorts of info about adapting the EDIS system that Ford put on the Mod motors to use on a SBF.

There are certainly cheaper CNP options using the LS coils and harness. Seems like instead of buying that MSD kit, you could buy the individual parts (the DIS, dual sync dizzy, and cap) for ~$780. You can definitely source used LS coils and harnesses and some plug wires for less than $450, so you'd come out ahead of the $1236 for the MSD kit. Still pretty expensive, but if I'm understanding that MSD kit correctly, that would allow you to run CNP with your stock EEC-V.

I've been considering doing the CNP conversion when I install a Terminator X on my 357W in the coming months. If I do it, I'll probably just find a used set of LS coils and the associated harnesses for $100-200, and then tie those into the Terminator X.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I have been looking into this as well. Just thinking about it for the time being, as I have a million other things to do before I really do anything with CoP (or CNP).

Mechanically injected 9.5, no EFI, but still considering coil near plug, the MSD dist is getting very old and so is the box (coming up on 30 years old). So far it hasn't given me too many problems but with the age comes increased probability of failure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think he said he needs to do it; he said he's interested. Much like I am.

One option is to use Ford's EDIS system, which is distributor-less, but isn't coil-near-plug (CNP). If you google for "EDIS 351" you can find all sorts of info about adapting the EDIS system that Ford put on the Mod motors to use on a SBF.

There are certainly cheaper CNP options using the LS coils and harness. Seems like instead of buying that MSD kit, you could buy the individual parts (the DIS, dual sync dizzy, and cap) for ~$780. You can definitely source used LS coils and harnesses and some plug wires for less than $450, so you'd come out ahead of the $1236 for the MSD kit. Still pretty expensive, but if I'm understanding that MSD kit correctly, that would allow you to run CNP with your stock EEC-V.

I've been considering doing the CNP conversion when I install a Terminator X on my 357W in the coming months. If I do it, I'll probably just find a used set of LS coils and the associated harnesses for $100-200, and then tie those into the Terminator X.
See the tricky thing is I am fine with having the stock computers. Is there any way to tie it in without having to run that or the Holley setup?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts