Ford Mustang Forums banner

Cobra owners - have any of you REMOVED or disposed of the factory oil cooler?

10K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  Greg@GLD 
#1 ·
I did my first oil change on the "new" Cobra, and I will say that it was a huge PIA...

The reason I found it to be a PIA over any other prior Mustang I have owned is this:

The factory 94/95 Cobra engine comes with a factory "Police style" oil cooler, that is mounted to the area on the engine block where an oil filter would normally mount. This piece is about 2" thick, mind you, 2" coming off the block. When using a Motorcraft FL1A oil filter, the "end" of the oil filter is so damn close to the sway bar, due to being mounted onto the oil cooler, that it is a PIA to get a regular style oil filter wrench onto the oil filter....

Am I going about this the wrong way? Even on my prior 96 Cobra, it was easier to change the oil filter, and it too had a HUGE oil cooler block mounted to the engine.

Has anyone here disposed of or maybe has permanently removed the factory oil cooler from the engine and now mounts the filter directly to the engine as the pre 94 5.0's did?

I mean, how much cooling is REALLY occuring with the oil, since it's basiclaly HOT radiator fluid being pushed through the oil cooler unit? If the prior 5.0's ran fine without an oil cooler, can't the 94/95 Cobras run without one too?

If anyone HAS removed their factory oil cooler - please explain how you went about doing it, what modifications are necessary, and the pros/cons to performing this "mod".

Thanks!

See less See more
#28 ·
FWIW, if you plan on deleting the sway bar and have a cobra oil cooler, you can use the regular longer FL-1A.

Has anyone tried using an oil cooler from the F-150 trucks? I've wanted to try this because you dont need all the stupid pipes that the cobra use. The truck coolers tie into the lower radiator hose into two small rubber hoses and then into the round cooler. Much cleaner looking.

#31 ·
wow - an "old" thread back up in action! LOL!

Anyhow, YES, in order to remove the hard lins for the oil cooler, it's way easier to remove them once the pulleys are removed. I, however took the short cut - and used a sawzall and cut the lines, then removed them without removing the pulleys (hey, it was back in March of last year when this thread was up and it was COLD outside... so I wanted to get the job done quicker...).

IF you are one who likes to save the stock parts, I do NOT recommend damaging or cutting the lines, because they are useless afterwards.

I don't have my old oil cooler or mounting bolt, as I sold it on eBay towards the end of 2004 - sorry.

I have no intentions of installing that stuff again, ever - it's only in the way, and as you all can read the previous posts, there are some cons to leaving the unit installed and it's really not the best suited or most efficient type of part in keeping the oil cool. I've been using the larger FL1A oil filter now and feel much better with a larger oil filter, rather than a smaller one. This has been nearly a year now with NO detrimental affects whatsoever. My oil pressure is also monitored by an Auto Meter mechanical gauge.

The only type of oil cooler that IS a good unit to install over the stock oil cooler, IF trying to keep the engine oil cooled, is the air cooled units that utilize a small radiator core (and some even have a small electric fan that pulls air through the core, to allow more efficient cooling capabilities) that can be mounted in or near the front air dam or fog light holes.

#32 ·
I removed mine when I installed the supercharger, so I had a lot of things removed from the passenger side. I did have the water pump pulley, coil bracket & idle pulley off. I did not touch the power steering or ac compressor. I did not have to cut the lines cause I am wanting to keep the cooler, never know one day I might go back to stock, so not for sale, unless a very high price is offered.:)

#34 ·
DarkMesa8 said:
Yeah, I figured I'd search and pull up an old post, rather than start a new one and be shot at with the "do a search!"
Naw, your the only one who would say that... :) JK. That and you didn't want a want ad, this has tech to keep it legal.
Just messing with you & keeping it on top to see any other Cobra owners have their oil cooler.

#35 ·
94CobraPace said:
Naw, your the only one who would say that... :) JK.

Now THAT is offensive... :cool: You can research my previous posts and find that I've told the person to run a search maybe once or twice total. :p

Want ad? I'm not looking for or trying to sell it...

#36 ·
HaHa, actually the 94\95 boards are one of the best about not flaming or bashing people. I have never seen you say to "do a search", just messing with you, thats what JK (Joke) was on there for. Have a good day. :)

#38 ·
Glenn said:
If any of you guys that ditched your oil coolers still have it I may be interested in getting it from you. PM me if you have the setup including the bolt that mounts it to the block. I need one.
I had to remove mine for the Procharger..it's for sale if your still looking?
Mark

#41 ·
I got rid of my smog pump, however I kept the oil cooler, and I did not opt for the over priced pulley. Every thing fits fine, especially I customized (big ******* hammer) the coolant pipe. Only cost me the price of a shorter belt. Sorry I can't remember the size right off hand.

#42 · (Edited)
TTT on a ooldd post.

I understand I need a new coolant tube at the top L shaped to go to the water pump. To the line that ends up leading to the heater core. (if anybody has a ford part number big thanks)

Is coolant the only thing that flows thru that "cooling block"??? What would happen if I was to detach/remove the 2 main coolant lines and drive like that for 1 oil change period??? (I just put on a brand new oil filter) The 2 huge metal lines are coolant only correct??? or is one coolant and one oil??

#43 ·
them damn metal tubes on top are coolant lines only.
they suck they leak they are impossible to find replacements for

#44 ·
They are in my way! haha. So if they are both just coolant no harm in removing them and using the short filter until the next oil change then. That is probably what I'm going to do since I JUST changed the oil.

#45 ·
well, i've no idea what the metal coolant tubes have to do with oil

#47 ·
ahh, i just could not contain myself when i saw them damn metal tubes mentioned

#48 ·
from what I understand, the metal tubes are for coolant only(low pressure) one is the feed and the other is the return. the metal round part is where the oil is cooled(high pressure). you could remove just the metal lines and put on the L shaped hose. since the oil and coolant never mix this is not a problem. I am guessing that the cooler could carrode faster with out the coolant there, but it would definatly last at least a oil change. If you want it off, and you just changed the oil, there is no reason that you can't dump the oil into a clean container and reuse it, I've had to do that before. I was able to make mine work by shaping it with a big hammer, I have no belt clearance issues or leaks. I hope that this helps you, let me know if you have any further questions.

#49 ·
Blast from the past, so now seeing this and the responses from over 16 years ago, how many of you 1994/95 Cobra owners even still have the factory oil cooler components you had removed? :unsure:

Me = yes, still have the parts.

#53 ·
I removed this stuff like 23 years ago and still have all the original parts in a box somewhere... Still have the car too.

#50 ·
Y’all do know that oil temps can reach as much as 300°?
Oil temps Typically average 250°-260°,
So the use of engine coolant is effective.

just thought I would point that out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.