Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got rid of my smog pump, however I kept the oil cooler, and I did not opt for the over priced pulley. Every thing fits fine, especially I customized (big ******* hammer) the coolant pipe. Only cost me the price of a shorter belt. Sorry I can't remember the size right off hand.

·
Registered
95 Posts
TTT on a ooldd post.

I understand I need a new coolant tube at the top L shaped to go to the water pump. To the line that ends up leading to the heater core. (if anybody has a ford part number big thanks)

Is coolant the only thing that flows thru that "cooling block"??? What would happen if I was to detach/remove the 2 main coolant lines and drive like that for 1 oil change period??? (I just put on a brand new oil filter) The 2 huge metal lines are coolant only correct??? or is one coolant and one oil??

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
them damn metal tubes on top are coolant lines only.
they suck they leak they are impossible to find replacements for

·
Registered
95 Posts
They are in my way! haha. So if they are both just coolant no harm in removing them and using the short filter until the next oil change then. That is probably what I'm going to do since I JUST changed the oil.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
well, i've no idea what the metal coolant tubes have to do with oil

·
Registered
95 Posts
mike early said:
well, i've no idea what the metal coolant tubes have to do with oil
If you had a cobra this post would make a little more sense to you I guess.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
ahh, i just could not contain myself when i saw them damn metal tubes mentioned

·
Registered
43 Posts
from what I understand, the metal tubes are for coolant only(low pressure) one is the feed and the other is the return. the metal round part is where the oil is cooled(high pressure). you could remove just the metal lines and put on the L shaped hose. since the oil and coolant never mix this is not a problem. I am guessing that the cooler could carrode faster with out the coolant there, but it would definatly last at least a oil change. If you want it off, and you just changed the oil, there is no reason that you can't dump the oil into a clean container and reuse it, I've had to do that before. I was able to make mine work by shaping it with a big hammer, I have no belt clearance issues or leaks. I hope that this helps you, let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Blast from the past, so now seeing this and the responses from over 16 years ago, how many of you 1994/95 Cobra owners even still have the factory oil cooler components you had removed? :unsure:

Me = yes, still have the parts.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Y’all do know that oil temps can reach as much as 300°?
Oil temps Typically average 250°-260°,
So the use of engine coolant is effective.

just thought I would point that out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I still have the rusty, leaky parts but they’re now in a box lol. I took it off during a rebuild over a decade ago and haven’t looked back.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I have the other version of Ford’s oil cooler on my 5.0 Explorer, at 300,000 miles I’ve never had an issue with it.

it doesn’t use the 2 smaller coolant lines going to the water pump.
It just splices in between the lower radiator hose.

·
Administrator
53,636 Posts
Blast from the past, so now seeing this and the responses from over 16 years ago, how many of you 1994/95 Cobra owners even still have the factory oil cooler components you had removed? :unsure:

Me = yes, still have the parts.
I removed this stuff like 23 years ago and still have all the original parts in a box somewhere... Still have the car too.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts