Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give folks a warning. About a month ago I purchased a car listed for sale on here off of user “1992wildstrawberrylx”. It was a Wild Strawberry 1992 LX hatch. I drove 8 hours to pick the car up after very lengthy text message conversations and a couple phone calls. We agreed on a price and I was advised SEVERAL times over that the needed nothing. Just a dyno tune. He further advised pretty much everything engine and drivetrain related had 300 miles on it. He advised he had a clean and clear title in hand for the car. He advised that the paint on the car was good and that it had a few spots here and there but still over good. After the final conversation, I advised if everything was as he said, I’d be good with the agreed price and brining a trailer to pick the car up.

I arrived to pick up the car and upon a first inspection of the car, the paint was horrible. It was good from a far but very far from good. It was fish eyed and looked like it was done by someone in their back yard. I told him I thought the paint was very rough but I was willing to look past it if the car was as advertised otherwise. I continued to poke around the car and noticed the SC belt was making contact with the front of the electric water pump. I pointed it out and he said “oh yeah, it wasn’t hitting to bad so I didn’t think mention it”.

As I continued to poke around the car I found a few very little things that I pointed out but nothing major. After starting the car up and pulling it out of the garage, looking it over again. I basically came to the conclusion that I was willing to deal with the small issues I found on the car as well as the paint because I planned to paint the car.

when it was time to load the car, the hood wasn’t installed. I was informed prior to the deal that the hood was cut out to clear the charge pipe from the SC to the intake. When I said, alright let’s throw the hood on, I was advised that it wouldn’t fit because the hood wasn’t cut properly and needed repaired and re-cut to fit over the piping. Frustrating as it was I let that slide too. I knew I wanted to swap the intake manifold so again, I let it slide. At this point I was frustrated but I just wanted to get the car loaded up and head home. While I was loading the car we went to fire the car up to pull it on and his friend advised me that the car probably wouldn’t start if we shut it off again because the battery was weak and the alternator belt wasn’t the right size so it was slipping and not charging well. By this time I’m fed up, the car was already half on the trailer and the check signed. I figured I could handle most of the issues with ease and I was ready to go home.

I loaded the car, strapped it down and left.

After getting the car home and getting some free time, I started to find other issues. I decided to try and confirm the transmission that was in the car. He originally told me the car had a built TKO from neo mustang restoration. I called neo and he had no knowledge of the transmission.

after that I decided I wanted to pull the diff cover off and see what the story was. In the ad and via text he advised the car had 33 spline moser axles and a Eaton trutrac locker. After pulling the diff off the car I discovered it was equipped with 31 spline axles and a mini spool inside a factory 8.8 carrier. At this point I tried to make contact with him about the many issues continuing to pop up with the car and told him at this point I’d like to just bring the car back to him and settle it now to avoid any further issues. He advised me that I was given the opportunity to inspect the car and it was sold as is so there was nothing he was willing to do to make it right.

fast forward a couple weeks and I’ve spent a few grand making things right on the car and getting it ready for a dyno tune. At this point I was ready to turn the title in to my state and get the car road legal. After dropping the title off at the DMV I was informed by Massachusetts DMV that the car I owned wasnt marked on the Mass title for some reason but it was showing that it was salvaged title from a theft recovery. They informed me this takes place in an act call title scrubbing where an employee of the DMV that knows the person titling the car, removed the salavaged title marks. He had also informed me that he owned the car for the past 10 years when he had actually owned the car for that last 6 years.

after this major upset, I again tried to contact the individual to make the situation right. He again ignored my texts and calls. I’ve left a message for him and I’ve been in contact with my lawyer who advised me that I need to file a suit against him the circuit court which I will be doing but I wanted you guys to hear the story because he has several cars list on here still.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
That's a crappy situation, but if you found that many small issues at pickup you should have backed out of the deal.

But best to tell others to be careful like you did here. Misrepresentation of what you are selling is no bueno in my book.

Caveat emptor

·
Registered
94 Posts
There’s a reason all the junk he sells is posted for months he just buys cheap crap off cl then resales it like the red 85 it was on cl for a good 6 months out of pa for 6500 now hes asking 11500 haha good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There’s a reason all the junk he sells is posted for months he just buys cheap crap off cl then resales it like the red 85 it was on cl for a good 6 months out of pa for 6500 now hes asking 11500 haha good luck
Yeah. I didn’t catch it before and that’s somewhat my fault.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a crappy situation, but if you found that many small issues at pickup you should have backed out of the deal.

But best to tell others to be careful like you did here. Misrepresentation of what you are selling is no bueno in my book.

Caveat emptor
Yeah it sucks. I just don’t want to see anyone else get screwed.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
buyer beware. and the fact that he is 8 hours away doesn't help the fact. Unfortunately there really isnt much a court can do as he probably isn't a dealer, the car was sold as it

was the registration in his name and the address match where he resided or where he sold the car?

Next time listen to your gut and dont compromise. This is a really tough lesson to learn.

I was in a very similar situation last year. I understand what your going through.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
buyer beware. and the fact that he is 8 hours away doesn't help the fact. Unfortunately there really isnt much a court can do as he probably isn't a dealer, the car was sold as it

was the registration in his name and the address match where he resided or where he sold the car?

Next time listen to your gut and dont compromise. This is a really tough lesson to learn.

I was in a very similar situation last year. I understand what your going through.
yeah I don’t disagree, I made some mistakes but it all has a way of working out. I plan on pursuing him in anyway I can, if I accomplish nothing more then being a pain in his ass.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX
7,755 Posts
you'd figure he'd be all over this if there was more to the story, so copy and paste this thread into all his for sale threads so others are aware

hope you're not just pursuing civil options with this kid if all you said is true as it sounds like he may have some other issues to worry about besides the civil

Reactions: Jbrand

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you'd figure he'd be all over this if there was more to the story, so copy and paste this thread into all his for sale threads so others are aware

hope you're not just pursuing civil options with this kid if all you said is true as it sounds like he may have some other issues to worry about besides the civil
yeah, you’d think, huh?
Facts are facts unfortunately for him. I have no reason to lie about it and I’ve given him a chance to make it right so we will see.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX
7,755 Posts
this bs website update has made marketing a priority over its users by eliminating the trader rating system that was easily visible and easy to use

Reactions: robs5.0stang
1 - 10 of 10 Posts