Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Mustang Handbook states to take your intended budget, add up everything you plan to buy and then double that number.. LOL True words... So what's your real budget and timeline??

347 costs the same as 331.. Either way you'll need to spin the motor to get the power you want. That means Gears and a good Cam. Take that gt40 Intake and hook a chain to it and use it for what it's good for.. An Anchor..
No one has mentioned the intake - for your HP goals, even a ported GT40 won't is unlikely to get you there with a 302-306. A 331 makes 340 WHP possible (400 crank) with a ported GT40 but you better get professional help with the cam and have the exhaust system to support it. 340 WHP with a 302-306 won't be cake walk, get some good advice on how to get there with the parts you'll need.
I've had a 347 EFI back in the early 2000's. So I know what I'd need. Basically I'd sell this current intake and heads.

Probably go Edelbrock RPM II intake, TF 11R 190 heads and a custom cam. I'd keep compression around 10:5:1 on 91 non oxygenated fuel.

Currently running 3:55 gears, but I think 3:73 would be better. My friend who built my last 347 thinks my current setup needs 4:10's.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
with those heads, I'd run a Holley over the RPM2
You think the systemax is a better option?

·
Old timer
6,107 Posts
I've had a 347 EFI back in the early 2000's. So I know what I'd need. Basically I'd sell this current intake and heads.

Probably go Edelbrock RPM II intake, TF 11R 190 heads and a custom cam. I'd keep compression around 10:5:1 on 91 non oxygenated fuel.

Currently running 3:55 gears, but I think 3:73 would be better. My friend who built my last 347 thinks my current setup needs 4:10's.

Go 347 for the extra cubes

The TFS 11R 205 is a better choice for the displacement

Add the Holley SMII with a bit of clean up

Gearing is dictated by application

Same deal with the cam profile.

Piece of cake. :)

Reactions: 91GTstroked

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Go 347 for the extra cubes

The TFS 11R 205 is a better choice for the displacement

Add the Holley SMII with a bit of clean up

Gearing is dictated by application

Same deal with the cam profile.

Piece of cake. :)
Awesome thanks Ed. When I get ready to pull the trigger, I'll contact you for a custom grind cam.

·
Old timer
6,107 Posts
Awesome thanks Ed. When I get ready to pull the trigger, I'll contact you for a custom grind cam.

Keep in mind, we can provide everything but the shortblock.

Cylinder heads, Holley intake, custom camshaft and all the other peripherals. ;)

Reactions: 91GTstroked

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Keep in mind, we can provide everything but the shortblock.

Cylinder heads, Holley intake, custom camshaft and all the other peripherals. ;)
I did not know that! Awesome

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Can anyone recommend a good 347 stroker kit? And should I go with the 5.315? That's what I had many years ago.

And who should I buy from?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Did you go into suspended animation for a year? :ROFLMAO:

I always wanted to do the 5.315 even though it makes the vendors who post here angry since they say it makes no difference. Then the 363's came out, and I wanted one of those. Then I decided I wanted big torque like my Kenne Bell, but with out the blower to heat up and break things, so I got the 427w. Point being, every year you skip, pretend you had that engine and move up to the next level ;)

·
Vendor
12,558 Posts
The 5.315 poses an inescapable problem when used with the commonly used light grey internal cranks. The piston pin tower will smash right into the counterweights. If your worried about the pin in the oil ring, then just use mahle piston that uses the 1-1-2 mm ring package as it eliminates the rail spacer. But the pin in the ring is completely irrelevant.

Now if you use the 5.315 with a scat cast crank, then no issue as well as the 28oz scat forged crank.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Did you go into suspended animation for a year?

I always wanted to do the 5.315 even though it makes the vendors who post here angry since they say it makes no difference. Then the 363's came out, and I wanted one of those. Then I decided I wanted big torque like my Kenne Bell, but with out the blower to heat up and break things, so I got the 427w. Point being, every year you skip, pretend you had that engine and move up to the next level ;)
No lol. I had other things come up. I just purchased a 30x60 shop and I still need to furnish it. My mechanic friend has two 5.0 blocks so I'm thinking about getting the short block started.

Not looking for big power, and looking for reliability. Thinking of keeping compression around 10:1. I recently bought a holley terminator x efi setup.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The 5.315 poses an inescapable problem when used with the commonly used light grey internal cranks. The piston pin tower will smash right into the counterweights. If your worried about the pin in the oil ring, then just use mahle piston that uses the 1-1-2 mm ring package as it eliminates the rail spacer. But the pin in the ring is completely irrelevant.

Now if you use the 5.315 with a scat cast crank, then no issue as well as the 28oz scat forged crank.
Awesome thanks. I'll likely go with a scat crank/stroker kit. It's been a long time since I've been in the 347 game.

·
Vendor
12,558 Posts
Awesome thanks. I'll likely go with a scat crank/stroker kit. It's been a long time since I've been in the 347 game.

scat doesn't sell a 5.315 rod, it will be a 5.400 rod as usual. They may still have some 5.325 but I would be shocked because there is literally zero demand for any other rod except the 5.400

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
scat doesn't sell a 5.315 rod, it will be a 5.400 rod as usual. They may still have some 5.325 but I would be shocked because there is literally zero demand for any other rod except the 5.400
Gotcha. I'll have to do a little more research. Thanks

·
Vendor
12,558 Posts
Gotcha. I'll have to do a little more research. Thanks

Honestly, there isnt much to research, its already all hashed out. If its a stock block and cast, then use a scat 3.400 cast crank, scat 5.400 rod and whatever piston design you need to accommodate a certain compression ratio.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Honestly, there isnt much to research, its already all hashed out. If its a stock block and cast, then use a scat 3.400 cast crank, scat 5.400 rod and whatever piston design you need to accommodate a certain compression ratio.
Okay thanks. I was looking at this kit. But they do offer a 5.400 rod.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
98 Posts
Here’s my opinion. Buy a set of BA heads. 11Rs/AFR Renegade. Buyers choice. Throw it on your shortblock for now and save your pennies. When you break the little pig on the shelf buy yourself a dart shortblock. Be done.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts