Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the AFR Renegade 195s the biggest smog legal heads available? Will be going on a 351 stroked to 408. I know the 408 is technically not legal but the smog tech wont know what's inside. need to pass the visual and sniffer. Stupid cali laws.

·
Old timer
5,917 Posts
We have a program to do a large cross section, Twisted Wedge head that uses the legal 170 FAC casting as a foundation.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful work. How much would that cost?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pretty sure they aren't the biggest but World products Windsor Sr. Aluminum heads 200cc intake runner 64cc combustion chamber are smog legal and a pretty big head imo. Just passed Colorado emissions July 10th with mine here in Denver been running these heads for 20 years. Had mine fully ported and polished and intake valves machined to a nitro coated 2.08 intake valve.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
How does the CO smog test compare to CA's? Is it a dyno type? What do they test for and what are the limits?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes they do run the cars on the emissions dyno in Denver and surrounding suburbs depending on where you live and this includes 81 and newer vehicles. The visual inspection make's you open your hood and need's to have smog equipment including egr tubes egr valves egr solenoid's smog pump etc and they pressure test the gas cap before the car goes on the dyno. They also visually check for o2 sensors and catalytic convertors presence. If check engine light is on they won't fail if the car passes the smog sample on 2007 and older vehicles.
Limits are:
Hc gpm 1.2000
Co gpm 15.000
Nox gpm 2.000

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
7 Posts
No money in tearing your engine apart. Ed answered it. If it is a carb legal cylinder head that matches up with your vehicle vehicle age, you should be good to go on the visual.
Nothing really gets a pipe test here in my area anymore. My bone stock ‘08 Duramax got inspected like I was smuggling drugs from Mexico a few weeks ago though. Mirrors in there like I wouldn’t believe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last time I did an emissions test on the sniffer, I passed with flying colors. Guy didn’t want to do my car because he “knew” it wouldn’t pass. Tune it to pass? I got away with that way back when

·
Registered
7 Posts
You will be surprised what passes the sniffer when the “tune” is right.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Every state is different in their requirements and regulations and the laws and restrictions keep changing over the years. Diesel emissions are a whole other ball game. Just keep all your carb o.e. stickers that come with all your after market parts.

·
Old timer
5,917 Posts
Beautiful work. How much would that cost?
Depends on what you need.

There are a host of options from the standard TFS valvetrain to titanium everything.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Limits are:
Hc gpm 1.2000
Co gpm 15.000
Nox gpm 2.000
Our limits are measured in parts per million.

Yes they do run the cars on the emissions dyno in Denver and surrounding suburbs depending on where you live and this includes 81 and newer vehicles. The visual inspection make's you open your hood and need's to have smog equipment including egr tubes egr valves egr solenoid's smog pump etc and they pressure test the gas cap before the car goes on the dyno. They also visually check for o2 sensors and catalytic convertors presence. If check engine light is on they won't fail if the car passes the smog sample on 2007 and older vehicles.
Every state is different in their requirements and regulations and the laws and restrictions keep changing over the years.
That is exactly why I asked: California's smog testing is both different and tougher than Colorado's. CEL is insta-fail. Do not pass Go, do not collect $100(the smog guy collects it). Everything that looks even remotely non-original has to be either 100% stock replacement and/or have an EO# plainly visible. A few days ago my truck almost failed visual because the smog tech couldn't find the EO# on my stock replacement front cat converter. It was there and he did find it, but still took another 10min for him to look up and verify the number was correct for the engine displacement, GVWR, etc.

I loved my '89GT, but having to deal with CA smog is such a giant hassle that I replaced it with my current '68 that isn't subject to smog checks. The '68 is still technically a pollution-controlled vehicle though because it came with a smog pump. On that topic, I ordered a replacement Holley 4150 throttle plate from Speedway Motors a few weeks ago. Not even a whole carburetor, just the bottom plate. I had to tell them it wasn't going on a pollution-controlled vehicle or they wouldn't ship it. I ordered an intake from Summit this week and had to do the same thing before the order was processed. Makes it funnier that the heads actually have an EO#.[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts