Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
139 Posts
I think a hammer shifter will work... There's a kit for a C-4 conversion that works with em in a sn-95, I think that may.... Make it work?? If not a call to like Summit might getcha in the right place for the right cable... Hell my 90 LX has a factory shifter hooked up to a C-6 without an adapter cable!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did a lil looking stuff up on Summit's website, B&M has 2 brackets listed that work with a C-6 tranny that bolt onto the pan, should be able to keep the factory cable I'm thinking.. I can take pics of mine if you need em. Mine's still got the factory shifter tho but it'll give you an idea of how they ran it and how the bracket beets to work with the hammer shifter.. sorry so long getting back to ya's!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did a lil looking stuff up on Summit's website, B&M has 2 brackets listed that work with a C-6 tranny that bolt onto the pan, should be able to keep the factory cable I'm thinking.. I can take pics of mine if you need em. Mine's still got the factory shifter tho but it'll give you an idea of how they ran it and how the bracket beets to work with the hammer shifter.. sorry so long getting back to ya's!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So ya, I talked to summit about that because jegs website Said the install kit would fit a C6. After checking with b-m website and seeing that summit had not updated info for two years, summits site now confirms the kit now fits c4, c5 and C6 transmissions. Good news.

I have made some progress. Went with hooker swap headers,fabbed up some motor mounts and made clearance for the steering shaft.
in

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
That motor looks great in there, but I don't see how one would be able to run power brakes without a hydroboost setup, and even then it would be tight. That along with the stock k member not fitting was the main reason I went with a stroked Windsor, but I have to say I have a soft spot for 385 series motors. You won't be short on torque - that's for damn sure, plus you don't have to worry much about breaking it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeh, that's one of the things I've been trying to figger out too... My car is a factory 90 LX 4cyl car and the brake booster is larger around but thinner so I've got less clearance.. I've got almost 0 clearance right now between it and my valve covers with a 351M so that's gnna need to be addressed. I'll have to have some sort of power assist brakes because I'm disabled and don't have as much strength in my legs for std brakes. That being said, I know hydro boost is the "thing" for coyote swaps but idk how hard it would be to make this work for a big block swap. LMR and others have premade hose kits for this but since this ain't a coyote what options would be there for making my own kit or having the hoses made? We do have a local hose shop (I think they're still in business?) but there's the question of the hose ends?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I have a fox body with manual brakes. 85 coupe, cheap drag car. The pedal effort to slow the car isn't any different than my DD '93 4 cylinder. You have to make sure to use the correct pedal because the power brake pedal has a different pedal ratio than manual brake pedal does. And of course make sure you have the correct master cylinder, calipers, and wheel cylinders--on mine, I converted it to 4 wheel discs, and the rear brakes are a cheap S-10 setup that some of the circle track guys use, but no parking brake. I wouldn't recommend using this setup. It's cheap and it's definitely inexpensive. It works ok but I don't care for it. Also needs GOOD pads, most of what you get at the parts store is not that. You might search the site. I forget the brand, have a set on my 4 cylinder car and it's a daylight and dark difference between those good pads and the cheap stuff that used to be on it. Same for the shoes on the back. MM had the shoes, only place I could find anything decent for us drum brake guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sunday was pretty productive. Finished welding the motor mounts on the k-member and the mounts to the motor. Then repainted everything including the firewall. Now I can get back to the engine assembly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Last weekend was really really good to me!! I located a 460 out if a 97 F-350!! Fully dressed, from the flexplate all the way out to the alternator and power steering pump!! I had a 4 hr drive both ways and had to borrow a cherry picker to get out the back of my lil sport trac, but with the help of some friends we finally got it in my building/shop!!

All snuggled up!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Last weekend was really really good to me!! I located a 460 out if a 97 F-350!! Fully dressed, from the flexplate all the way out to the alternator and power steering pump!! I had a 4 hr drive both ways and had to borrow a cherry picker to get out the back of my lil sport trac, but with the help of some friends we finally got it in my building/shop!!

View attachment 1066616

All snuggled up!!
Nice score. I've got to find out soon what I'm going to do for accessories. You got the whole package there.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
daily drove an 83 with a 460/C6 for a short while boy was it ugly (but cheap)

yeah it's nose heavy but it's not a huge deal if you know how to drive, not a lot different than driving an empty pickup truck. burnouts are a breeze cause there ain't no weight on the back wheels it's all on the front

later on i put a set of chinese aluminum heads (procomp) on it, and aluminum intake. MUCH better. probably saved 70-80 lbs if I had to guess; the stock stuff is pretty heavy. Plus it made quite a bit more power.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh sweet! Every lb you can save on the front end adds up! If I got it figgered right and I may be way off base... With aluminum heads, intake, and water pump.. moving the battery to the back you should have about the same weight on the front as an iron headed 351 Windsor.. but I may be wrong on this...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Gosh it been two months since I posted? Well,I have accomplished a few things.engine assembly went smoothly, serviced and replaced the from and rear seals on the trans,and The starter works great.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts