Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys recommend the safest way to get my non running foxbody to the shop ?

Car does not start or run. Has engine but no trans attached so Ill have to ratchet strap the engine pretty all directions to stop it from moving around during the drive.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Go to AAA and sign up for a membership. It’s less than the cost of getting a tow truck to your location and includes towing up to 200 miles.

No matter where you are having it towed, your buds shop, sons house or shop, when you are talking to AAA it’s always a shop.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

AAA is something I am going to check into.

I was wondering if anyone here has rented a uhaul car trailer and how they may have pushed thewir cars onto it when the car does not drive.

·
Registered
8,511 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if anyone here has rented a uhaul car trailer and how they may have pushed thewir cars onto it when the car does not drive.

Buy a harbor freight cable winch, or ask for 2-3 buddies to come give you a hand.

Be careful with AAA. You are only supposed to use them to take a broken down car to a repair shop. Some driver's get weird when you start using them to move project cars around, and some don't care as long as you throw them $20-40 tip.

I had to move my car a few years back when it was non-running. I priced out a trailer from Uhaul, a winch, and my time and possibly asking a few friends to help me out. In the end, I paid a tow truck guy $150 + tip to move it. Was the most hassle-free way.

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Any of you guys recommend the safest way to get my non running foxbody to the shop ?

Car does not start or run. Has engine but no trans attached so Ill have to ratchet strap the engine pretty all directions to stop it from moving around during the drive.

do you have tilt steering?

if so, make sure you have really skinny tires up front

you can easily ruin the knuckle in the column without power assist, moving the car around

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I’ve rented a uhaul car trailer years and years ago. If you don’t have a winch you can use a couple ratchet straps as come-alongs to help the car up the trailer. Did that with a 67 Grand Prix once. Sucked pushing that sucker on the trailer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply guys. Looks like Uhaul and a harbor freight winch is in my near future.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Get a Chainfall hoist and just crank it up there. It takes a bit of time but it is reliable and you will find it useful for all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If your not going very far just throw a tow strap on it and pull it. I wouldn't buy a winch, come along will work just as good, fox mustangs aren't that heavy, easy to pull on to trailer.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Tow truck flatbed by far the easiest and safest.
Agreed. Had my '86 (no motor, but T-5 still in car) put on a rollback and taken to the shop last January. By the way, we had AAA Premier with 200 miles at the time and they wouldn't take it. We just do AAA basic now (5 towing miles) since Premier was so expensive. Better to self insure for long distance towing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting my fox up the uhaul ramps with the rungs that go across them and the steep angle was not an easy task. The approach angle also limited where I could winch from or risk pulling the cable into my GT bumper. We had to reposition the winch twice to prevent damaging the car. My brother and I got it done since it was a long distance move. For a local move I would call a flat bed tow truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts