Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Mustang Gt 400hp Holley Terminator
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for some tire recommendations for my 87gt. I have 17x9 2003 cobra replicas. What are rear tires you guys running and why should I or shouldn’t I buy them. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
What does "best performing" mean to you? Best straight-line traction? Cornering grip? Wet weather handling? Dry weather handling? Do you care about longevity / tread wear? Do you have a budget?

I have Firehawk Indy 500s on the rear of my CTS-V and have been quite happy with them, particularly considering the price. Not the best wet weather performance, but not terrible. On my Mustang the summer wheels have Falken RT615s, which are pretty extreme for daily driving (but the car isn't daily driven, so that's OK).

·
Registered
87 Mustang Gt 400hp Holley Terminator
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is only driven on the weekends. I’m Looking for something that will perform well if I decide to launch it and also something that will not put me into the wall if it rains.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Your sure you want 245/45R17? If you have 17X9, you probably would be better off w/ the Cobra 275/40R17. 245/45R17 is more for 17X8.

Best tire I've had, was the Wide Ovals (before the indy 500 version replaced them). Never tried the replacements, as my tire guy always got me to try Continental tires. That said, the Continentals never were close. I have the General G-Max all seasons now, and they're not bad. I never drive in the rain, so I can't compare performance in the rain. But to me, I think they're better than the Continental ExtremeContact DWs I had on before. But still not to the level of the Wide Ovals. To me, the low rolling resistance made a lot of good tires crap.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
A 245/45 on a 9 is too small for a fox IMO instead I’d go 275/40 like the fella above said or 255/40 minimum. As for tires the top tire on the market is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and i can confirm they are a real good tire both wet and dry but they are pricey. I have also heard loads of good reviews for the firestone indy 500’s.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,043 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts